Anyone raise Guinea Hogs?

Woofless

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2010
SD
Just wondering if anyone here raises Guinea Hogs. (Actual pigs, not rodents, LOL). They're a smaller heritage breed hog that weighs around 250 lbs when fully grown. Supposed to be fairly docile, good natured and can be raised easily on pasture. Easy keeping, hardy breed of pig, breeds easily & sows take excellent care of their piglets, won't squish them, etc. Used to be a common breed on old homesteads but they fell out of favor with the advent of modern pork farming. Apparently at one point they were nearly extinct but there are efforts to bring them back, but they are still listed as critical with the ALBC. Supposed to be good eating too.
wink.png

At least, this is what I've read online and I'm interested if anyone here owns this type of pig & if your experiences have been similar to this info??

Either way I'm bound to figure out for myself what guinea hogs are like in the near future, since we brought one home last night
big_smile.png
. He's still a piglet, born in January and he's maybe 20-30 lbs. We named him "Hampton P. Widebody", or Hammy for short. He is is still not sure whether he likes human attention, but I spent a good 30 minutes in his pen just sitting there & letting him get comfortable with me. Fed him some leftover roast beef scraps.....took a while but he ended up eating out of my hand.

If all goes well Hammy is not intended for the freezer, we want him to be breeding stock. Just need to find a breeder near South Dakota with a female who's not directly related. The breeder we bought Hammy from only had one breeding pair & one litter, so obviously I didn't want to buy a brother-sister pair LOL.

I'd love to hear from any fellow Guinea Hog owners out there
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom