1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

anyone raise prairie chickens?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Therrm, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Therrm

Therrm Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2015
    Im interested in hatching and raising prairie chickens and was wondering if anyone does it or knows where I could locate some eggs or breeding stock. This is still in the idea stage as I dont know for sure if I could legally own them in KS but I cant think of why I couldnt. Any help would be appreciated.

2. FairOaks

FairOaks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2014
    Hi, There is a breeder in Nebraska who sells eggs and juveniles. It is too late for the eggs. Let me if you are interested so I can pm his number

3. Therrm

Therrm Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2015
    Ya I would like to talk to him. If you could give me his number that would be great.

4. twisted-acres-farm

twisted-acres-farm Porter herd bull for my Yaks Premium Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Dickinson, North Dakota
    IMHO the first thing you should to is contact your state wildlife dept or game and fish dept. Not only to find out if you can but they may be some type of cost share program for the birds and they might know where you could get them from.

5. lawman7

lawman7 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2013
    The Attwaters prairie chicken is highly endangered with only 260 left in the wild as of 2014. So very doubtful you can get any. The greater prairie chicken can be had by contacting Prairie ridge Aviary..

6. yeastydeath

yeastydeath New Egg

Oct 11, 2015
    It would be interesting to see if you could get involved with a population restoration project. Been trying to see who I should get in contact with here in Illinois about getting involved with raising them. It looks like a while back they were flying birds from out of state for a hefty fee which seems silly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by