anyone raise prairie chickens?

Therrm

In the Brooder
May 6, 2015
Im interested in hatching and raising prairie chickens and was wondering if anyone does it or knows where I could locate some eggs or breeding stock. This is still in the idea stage as I dont know for sure if I could legally own them in KS but I cant think of why I couldnt. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, There is a breeder in Nebraska who sells eggs and juveniles. It is too late for the eggs. Let me if you are interested so I can pm his number

Ya I would like to talk to him. If you could give me his number that would be great.

IMHO the first thing you should to is contact your state wildlife dept or game and fish dept. Not only to find out if you can but they may be some type of cost share program for the birds and they might know where you could get them from.

The Attwaters prairie chicken is highly endangered with only 260 left in the wild as of 2014. So very doubtful you can get any. The greater prairie chicken can be had by contacting Prairie ridge Aviary..

It would be interesting to see if you could get involved with a population restoration project. Been trying to see who I should get in contact with here in Illinois about getting involved with raising them. It looks like a while back they were flying birds from out of state for a hefty fee which seems silly.

@BearMlbf , are you looking for Prairie Chickens? The person you responded to hasn't been on here for 2 years and the OP hasn't been on here for 8 years!

Brad, with Prairie Ridge Aviary isn't selling eggs or adult birds at this time, he has had a devastating disease go through his flocks.

Another breeder in Missouri has them and is taking orders for eggs, right now, for spring delivery.

I did have/raised Prairie Chickens till last April when a hailstorm wiped out my flock!

If you are interested, I can give you his name and how to contact him, just PM me!

Back
Top Bottom