Anyone Raise their chicks outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chiko, May 29, 2011.

1. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    My dad's been complaining that my brooders make the basement smell really bad. He says that I have to put them outside. Does anyone have their chicks in a little coop outside? Can I see them? I need some ideas and maybe we can build them an awesome home on the back porch.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    That's a nice design thanks [​IMG] I'll have to consider doing somehting similar.

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I have an outside brooder. It is built so one side can be removed (leaving wire) once the chicks are older.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Before my broodies took over and started supplying me with all the chicks I needed (which they raise in the coop with the rest of the flock) I brooded chicks on the screened porch.

All chicks require is food, water, protection from predators and temps. appropriate for their age. There's nothing written down anywhere that says they have to be brooded indoors.

6. Wimberleytexaschick

Wimberleytexaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Wimberley, Texas
    I built this 6 ft. x 2 ft. brooder and use it on my patio- [​IMG]

7. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Outstanding job!

8. idispatch4911

idispatch4911 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I've been keeping my brooder (cardboard box) in the kitchen on the floor. But since we're getting some early summer temps in the 80's already, I've let the chickies out on the lawn and patio a few times to scratch and eat bugs. They seem to love it, so I think as soon as their feathers all come in, they'll be kicked out of the kitchen for good!

9. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    During the summer, my chicks go outside pretty much right away, because it stays in the 80-100 degree range all the time. I keep them in plastic boxes with lids made of screen right now, I'm working on building brooder cages in my coop so I can raise chicks year round without having them in the house.

10. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    I use a large dog crate out on my car port. I put cardboard along the sides to keep out drafts, and as they get older, I remove the cardboard. Mine did fine out in the crate even when temps went down to 45.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by