Exposing chicks to outside germs??

Cheesecurds

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2024
Hi all! I’ve got 2.5 week old babies who are in my basement. I can’t move them outside for a bit because well, winter in Wisconsin. But should I be putting outside dirt/grass in their brooder for them to get exposed to outside germs? If I do, what should I prepare for in terms of diseases they’re getting exposed to. They’re on medicated feed. I’m also interested in putting sand in their brooder but worried about disease and them eating it. Thanks!!

Attachments

• 10018677-4836-41FE-B8B4-A2A254470253.jpeg
    10018677-4836-41FE-B8B4-A2A254470253.jpeg
    494.1 KB · Views: 36
I would, but I believe in exposing them to outside germs, microbes, etc. The usual concern is coccidiosis but you have them on medicated feed, still, something to keep an eye out for.

Is the sand something from where their set up will be, or is this sand brought in from somewhere else? And why sand specifically?

They should have grit provided, if the soil in your area doesn't have small rock particles.

I would, but I believe in exposing them to outside germs, microbes, etc. The usual concern is coccidiosis but you have them on medicated feed, still, something to keep an eye out for.

Is the sand something from where their set up will be, or is this sand brought in from somewhere else? And why sand specifically?

They should have grit provided, if the soil in your area doesn't have small rock particles.
Thanks so much for your reply! Not sure how to keep an eye out for it. Is there something I should get for that beforehand just in case? Yes, I plan on putting sand in their coop/run long term and I heard chicks like sand baths. So I was thinking of doing a small area of sand for them to get used to. I haven’t started feeding them grit yet because they’re just on feed currently. I plan on doing grit for once they start having snacks, I’m guessing that’ll be around when I move them outside. I’m going to get sand that is washed, construction grade I think I’ve seen online?

I Honestly wouldn't worry about germs or diseases. You can put a bit of sod in there for them to pick at. I wouldn't use sand as a brooder medium, they're likely to gorge on it.
It also gets everywhere.
Thank you! Just planned on putting a small amount for them to bathe in. What’s sod?

Thanks so much for your reply! Not sure how to keep an eye out for it. Is there something I should get for that beforehand just in case?
I recommend having Corid on hand and familiarizing yourself with the early signs of coccidiosis overload, which is generally lethargy and often bloody, splattered poop. Medicated feed (in the US) contains a low dose of coccidiostat but birds can still be overwhelmed by the parasite, most often when they come off the medicated feed and are transitioned outside. Hence bringing the outside in, to begin exposing the chicks to outside pathogens.
Yes, I plan on putting sand in their coop/run long term and I heard chicks like sand baths. So I was thinking of doing a small area of sand for them to get used to.
A lot of chickens dislike sand as a bath medium. They're far more likely to roll around in the dirt clump you bring in.
I haven’t started feeding them grit yet because they’re just on feed currently. I plan on doing grit for once they start having snacks, I’m guessing that’ll be around when I move them outside.
If you're bringing in dirt and grass, they should have grit, as they will be eating bits and pieces of that.
I’m going to get sand that is washed, construction grade I think I’ve seen online?
I don't use sand so I can't advise what's the right kind.

Thank you! Just planned on putting a small amount for them to bathe in. What’s sod?
Just a chunk of ground/grass from outside.
Peat moss is a great dust bath, you can get it from most hardware/garden shops.
I use puppy pads for the first few weeks in my brooder. You can get a pie pan for a bathing area.

I recommend having Corid on hand and familiarizing yourself with the early signs of coccidiosis overload, which is generally lethargy and often bloody, splattered poop. Medicated feed (in the US) contains a low dose of coccidiostat but birds can still be overwhelmed by the parasite, most often when they come off the medicated feed and are transitioned outside. Hence bringing the outside in, to begin exposing the chicks to outside pathogens.

A lot of chickens dislike sand as a bath medium. They're far more likely to roll around in the dirt clump you bring in.

If you're bringing in dirt and grass, they should have grit, as they will be eating bits and pieces of that.

I don't use sand so I can't advise what's the right kind.
Thank you! When should I bring sod inside? People have been making me afraid online of giving grit too early, anything that could go wrong with that?

Thank you! When should I bring sod inside? People have been making me afraid online of giving grit too early, anything that could go wrong with that?
Now and now. Only risk of grit early is gorging, but there's easy ways to avoid that (only offer a minimal amount in a dish, or sprinkle a tiny pinch on their feed once every few days)

I approach this like a mother hen, who'd have her chicks out and about and putting things in their mouths from 2-3 days old. I brood directly on the run floor so they're exposed to outside temps and pathogens immediately, and I provide grit immediately because I know for a fact that they're eating bits of grass, wood, dirt.

Back
Top Bottom