Confused. Different opinions re chicks immune system

@rosemarythyme is correct about the immune systems of baby chicks being that the narrow window where immunity to bacteria and other pathogens is two weeks from hatch. This is one reason in favor of brooding chicks in the run from day one. Not just baby animals, but baby humans also benefit from exposure to germs, in moderation, of course. In other words, a bacteria-free environment isn't ideal for babies. The immune system needs to be taught to deal with the bad guys.

It's not too late. Start taking them out for brief gradual "field trips". It will get them acclimated to outdoor temps as well as outdoor pathogens. Feeding them medicated chick feed during this time can be helpful to get them resistant to local coccidia in the soil.
Yes I’m taking them out today after BYC information . I am feeding medicated chick feed so hope that helps my negligence not getting them exposed earlier . Thanks,

I am replying to individuals on their posts. Now I think I was supposed reply here!If it’s not obvious, I am of the typewriter generation, my children have left home so they can no longer help and I muddle through computer issues!A big thanks for everybody’s help. I couldn’t do this without you . At my age my chickens are my main delight, and I just want to get it right!

One thing I would keep an eye on with sand is the chicks eating too much of it out of curiosity. They are old enough by now to know better, but still, chicks are curious creatures. I brood on sand (after the first few days with paper towels on top) and they always want to eat it when they first see it, but they are little at that point and still don't know what is food and what isn't. So it may not be an issue for you, just keep it in mind.

It's good that you are feeding them medicated feed. Cocci would be the worst germ to worry about in your situation, the rest doesn't matter all that much (chickens are animals, they don't need things as clean as people do). Keep them on medicated feed for a few weeks after they transition fully to the outdoors, too. Follow the "see don't touch" method mentioned above for introduction to the flock. FYI the flock can eat the medicated feed, too, it won't harm them and won't affect their eggs, so the eggs are safe to eat. Makes it easier to feed the same thing to everybody instead of trying to separate what the chicks eat and what the adults eat. Just make sure the adults have a source of calcium on the side (crushed eggshell or oyster shell). This is what I do every year - while I have chicks with the flock, everybody eats medicated chick starter until they finish the bag (no point in wasting it past the few recommended weeks, they might as well finish the bag after that). And when they finish the bag in about a month, I switch everybody to flock raiser (20% protein, no added calcium) with eggshells always available in a separate bowl. That way you don't have to worry about the chicks eating layer feed before they start laying, and having calcium buildup issues.

Thank you for clearing up some things for me also. Although they will be separated in the coop from the flock, I was concerned, some food may be spelled either into the brooder or out of the Brooder. The ladies are on f Flock Raiser With Oyster shell on the side. I have three older hens Who are not laying. And I’m waiting for one of my eight teenagers to give me my first egg! I have corid in my emergency kit, but I’m going to check the expiration now as I’ve never used it. Just in case I need it. This will be my last batch of chicks, so I’m hoping all goes well. I’ll try to get a picture of my teenagers and post it.

I kept my first flock in for 2 weeks per a Mommy blog's suggested timeline for acclimating them to the outdoors, and they catch a new strain of coccidiosis everytime I bring home a new load of straw or if a wild bird looks in the direction of the coop for too long. I will never do that again, and my next batch of chicks will be getting non-medicated feed and a tray full of dirt from my current run in the brooder on day 1.

Yes, I wish now I had done that.🙁😟 I thought I’d add some pictures ofSome of my existing flock of 11.Couldn’t get them to stand still for a photo shoot!

Attachments

• F51306DB-C4C3-4B4D-8481-DDDA5AC8BF4B.jpeg
    F51306DB-C4C3-4B4D-8481-DDDA5AC8BF4B.jpeg
    1,009.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 9C215DC7-E1D8-4537-9C00-914E768C4DAE.jpeg
    9C215DC7-E1D8-4537-9C00-914E768C4DAE.jpeg
    810 KB · Views: 2
  • D0A09DE3-8D2A-4F5B-B596-6EBF9CD37BEB.jpeg
    D0A09DE3-8D2A-4F5B-B596-6EBF9CD37BEB.jpeg
    704.2 KB · Views: 3
I am replying to individuals on their posts. Now I think I was supposed reply here!If it’s not obvious, I am of the typewriter generation, my children have left home so they can no longer help and I muddle through computer issues!A big thanks for everybody’s help. I couldn’t do this without you . At my age my chickens are my main delight, and I just want to get it right!
There's no wrong or right way. Best to quote people if you're answering a specific post, but if you're just making a general statement, then an unquoted response to everyone works fine too.

@rosemarythyme is correct about the immune systems of baby chicks being that the narrow window where immunity to bacteria and other pathogens is two weeks from hatch. This is one reason in favor of brooding chicks in the run from day one. Not just baby animals, but baby humans also benefit from exposure to germs, in moderation, of course. In other words, a bacteria-free environment isn't ideal for babies. The immune system needs to be taught to deal with the bad guys.

It's not too late. Start taking them out for brief gradual "field trips". It will get them acclimated to outdoor temps as well as outdoor pathogens. Feeding them medicated chick feed during this time can be helpful to get them resistant to local coccidia in the soil.
Thank you. Yes I am feeeding medicated feed. They have been outside and so far so good🤞

Back
Top Bottom