Confused. Different opinions re chicks immune system

Fontaine

Songster
Jun 20, 2020
Naples Florida
I have seven healthy chicksAges 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 weeks in the kitchen. after a few days of paper towels, they are on large shavings. So far they’ve been exposed to nothing which may not be the best. I have a flock of 11. I live in Florida, so the weather is not really an issue as far as them going outside which they haven’t yet on a field trip. I’m trying to decide when it’s safe As far as germs to move their “ brooder” into the coop. I have electricity if they need their heater . my concern is they will be going directly onto a sand floorWhich is been used my my hensOver the year. I scoop poop every day, but know there must be a wealth of bacteria in that sand. It’s dry. should I “work up “to exposure i.e. putting some of that sand in there brooder in the kitchen? Should I wait until they’re older and would have a better immune system? Ideally, I’d like to put them out when the youngest are five weeks old. They will have quite a large area once I open their BrooderTo a larger chick only section but that’s also. “used sand”And would take many bags of store bought sandIf it had to be replaced now. I have a ton of sand delivered every Christmas and at that time replace all the sand in the coop. I’d appreciate input on my issue .I got wordy, but to summarize I will enclose a picture of my “brooder” And asking when it’s safe to move it out, inside the coop directly on used sand. Thanks so much.

Attachments

• DC420382-D82B-4993-AFBF-DECE894D583A.jpeg
    DC420382-D82B-4993-AFBF-DECE894D583A.jpeg
    895 KB · Views: 127
It probably wouldn't hurt to do a gradual introduction with the sand.
Don't know if anyone else has actual experience with this. Most of what I've read seems to be people putting the chicks from brooder to a location within sight/minimal interaction with the adults, and then putting them in after a small introduction time.

IMO exposure should be done early as possible so you're already past that point - for reference I now brood outdoors from the start with chicks 2-3 days old. The only time I've had coccidiosis issues were with chicks brooded indoors for 5 weeks. It won't hurt to bring in outdoor sand/dirt from the run location now but have Corid on hand to treat for coccidiosis if it becomes an issue.

Or you can begin the "field trips" now and start the see but no touch part of integration as well. There's no benefit to waiting to 5 weeks, especially if you don't have cold weather to deal with.

While they were still indoors and on medicated chick feed, I started grabbing a hunk of grass with roots and dirt attached and put it in the chicks' brooder. This allowed them to start getting exposed to stuff from the outdoors. This was when they were about 3-4 weeks old.

Then a week or two later they started getting some trips outdoors while I worked on their grow out coop/pen.

I dont have other chickens, so I didnt have to worry about integration into a flock.

1698273264036.png

1698273477431.png

I have seven healthy chicksAges 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 weeks in the kitchen. after a few days of paper towels, they are on large shavings. So far they’ve been exposed to nothing which may not be the best. I have a flock of 11. I live in Florida, so the weather is not really an issue as far as them going outside which they haven’t yet on a field trip. I’m trying to decide when it’s safe As far as germs to move their “ brooder” into the coop. I have electricity if they need their heater . my concern is they will be going directly onto a sand floorWhich is been used my my hensOver the year. I scoop poop every day, but know there must be a wealth of bacteria in that sand. It’s dry. should I “work up “to exposure i.e. putting some of that sand in there brooder in the kitchen? Should I wait until they’re older and would have a better immune system? Ideally, I’d like to put them out when the youngest are five weeks old. They will have quite a large area once I open their BrooderTo a larger chick only section but that’s also. “used sand”And would take many bags of store bought sandIf it had to be replaced now. I have a ton of sand delivered every Christmas and at that time replace all the sand in the coop. I’d appreciate input on my issue .I got wordy, but to summarize I will enclose a picture of my “brooder” And asking when it’s safe to move it out, inside the coop directly on used sand. Thanks so much.
Move them out tomorrow!

@rosemarythyme is correct about the immune systems of baby chicks being that the narrow window where immunity to bacteria and other pathogens is two weeks from hatch. This is one reason in favor of brooding chicks in the run from day one. Not just baby animals, but baby humans also benefit from exposure to germs, in moderation, of course. In other words, a bacteria-free environment isn't ideal for babies. The immune system needs to be taught to deal with the bad guys.

It's not too late. Start taking them out for brief gradual "field trips". It will get them acclimated to outdoor temps as well as outdoor pathogens. Feeding them medicated chick feed during this time can be helpful to get them resistant to local coccidia in the soil.

IMO exposure should be done early as possible so you're already past that point - for reference I now brood outdoors from the start with chicks 2-3 days old. The only time I've had coccidiosis issues were with chicks brooded indoors for 5 weeks. It won't hurt to bring in outdoor sand/dirt from the run location now but have Corid on hand to treat for coccidiosis if it becomes an issue.

Or you can begin the "field trips" now and start the see but no touch part of integration as well. There's no benefit to waiting to 5 weeks, especially if you don't have cold weather to deal with.

Yes, I remember reading your previous advise on this way to late. I’ll get going on it today. Thankyou so much.

Back
Top Bottom