Check out my diy brooder!

katsallday

Chirping
Mar 25, 2022
I really was struggling coming up with a brooder layout that will use every bit of space I have in my tiny downstairs half bathroom. I have 9 chicks and I want them to be able to run about and play and for the brooder to grow in size with them. After thinking for a day I came up with this! It’s one of those plastic cube organizer systems on Amazon that I LEGO’d to fit under my weird sink! Now I can keep them from roosting on my plumbing lines and the brooder can grow to completely fill the bathroom. Plus when they can go outside I can break this down flat for storage until chicken math calls my name again! I lined the bottom with cardboard and newspaper, laid some pine shavings on that, and bam, best brooder I’ve ever had. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_8774.jpeg
    IMG_8774.jpeg
    456.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8773.jpeg
    IMG_8773.jpeg
    474.3 KB · Views: 38
I do use an old snake tank metal cover when it’s needed, but the brooder is closed under the sink area and they can’t fly to the 24in in height to the open part is just yet

But I just thought about it, I can literally make a cover using left over “puzzle pieces”
Those chicks look around 2 weeks so they can definitely make it up to 24", as I routinely find chicks that age sitting on top of their brooder.

Are either the snake tank cover or the leftover panels open mesh or something? You might be able to get away with covering it with bird netting stretched taut and binder clips around the border, just as an example. They need ventilation all the time, but if a chick gets out it likely won't know how to make it back in.

Those chicks look around 2 weeks so they can definitely make it up to 24", as I routinely find chicks that age sitting on top of their brooder.

Are either the snake tank cover or the leftover panels open mesh or something? You might be able to get away with covering it with bird netting stretched taut and binder clips around the border, just as an example. They need ventilation all the time, but if a chick gets out it likely won't know how to make it back in.
I can build it another 12 inches higher easily, the metal tank cover I have is a mesh so there’s ventilation :) so far they’re loving the huge space and slamming into each other for fun lol I could watch them all night

I really was struggling coming up with a brooder layout that will use every bit of space I have in my tiny downstairs half bathroom. I have 9 chicks and I want them to be able to run about and play and for the brooder to grow in size with them. After thinking for a day I came up with this! It’s one of those plastic cube organizer systems on Amazon that I LEGO’d to fit under my weird sink! Now I can keep them from roosting on my plumbing lines and the brooder can grow to completely fill the bathroom. Plus when they can go outside I can break this down flat for storage until chicken math calls my name again! I lined the bottom with cardboard and newspaper, laid some pine shavings on that, and bam, best brooder I’ve ever had. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom