Anyone Sell Butchered Quail?

I found someone in KC today that is selling 3 week old Cots ( jumbo browns and Texas A&M ) for $1 each, hope to meet her soon to pick up a few

Quote:
Maybe in some states this is true, but the law varies from state to state. Here in Virginia it is illegal to own bobwhite quail unless you have a permit, and it is illegal to sell them to anyone unless they also have a permit.

This is kina a funny law you are speaking of live bobs eh? I could tell some stories of who's whos here in Va. going by the line of reasoning you are using we could raise gambles, blue scale , valleys , barbarry ,roul roul etc because they are not on the permit huh ROFL

Coturnix quail do not fall under that category and can be owned and sold without any permits. So you have to check your state laws to know for yourself.

I noticed that in the stickies someone said that Virginia was vague in their requirements for a permit for coturnix, and they are unless you look at a copy of the form you have to fill out for a quail permit. There they have bobwhites and two other breeds of quail listed with a box beside each one that you need to check to show which kind you are getting permits for. Coturnix are not listed on the form. You can go to the Va. Dept. of Game and Fisheries and look at the permit if you want to. I don't have a link for that, but you can go to the permits section and look through the list. I think it falls under owning wild animals or something like that. It isn't hard to find. Just thought I'd throw that out there incase someone from Virginia needs to know.

and BTW here is the form

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/forms/PERM/PERM-014.pdf

"This is kina a funny law you are speaking of live bobs eh? I could tell some stories of who's whos here in Va. going by the line of reasoning you are using we could raise gambles, blue scale , valleys , barbarry ,roul roul etc because they are not on the permit huh ROFL"

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/forms/PERM/PERM-014.pdf

Yes, here is that part of the form:

Indicate Species ( ) to be Propagated (Captive-bred and raised only):
Bobwhite Quail (Colinus virginianus)
Ringneck Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) all varieties and hybrids
Chukar (Alectoris chukar)
Hungarian Partridge (Perdix perdix)

Aprophet, I'd sure appreciate it if you could expound on what you are saying. Alluding to something doesn't quite give me the understanding of what you may or may not be getting at. I sure would be tickled to hear your understanding of Va. Law since you have been at this a long time.
smile.png

Just wanted to point out that moose isn't on that list either, but I don't think we can raise them.
lau.gif

Amazing how much laws vary and how much our perceptions vary based on our local laws. Here in Kansas we can sell non-native (excluding ringneck pheasant but including color mutations of bobs and pheasant) bird all day long un-governed and "domestic" more conventional poultry are considered potentially commercial when it comes to selling eggs. Our game breeders licence is $20.50 and only required to breed , sell, or release and the breeding part isn't enforced in birds near as much as in mammals. But when you go to get that licence they describe the quarter million dollar plus farm you have to design for your game. I'm seeing that cots and (domestic color variations of bobs) are a great place to be here because they fly in the grey area with almost no regulations regarding sale, breeding, facilities, ect. When it comes down to butcher though, I think the gov. gets a little picky. I work at a custom slaughter house a couple years back and we had a USDA employed inspector that had to supervise the slaughter and meat handling of any meat that was to be sold (meening meat that the owner of the animal was going to sell rather that feed to his or her family) as well as supervise and thoughly check the cleaning of our equipment at the end of each day. I would hate to have to have that kind of set up for under about 5 million quail a year and I don't want to invest as much time and energy as it would take to produce and process 5 million quail a year.

I asked this same question a while back and one responce I got on regulations of selling butchered was to sell them to people as "animal food" , and then if someone just happens to decide to eat the perfectly good quail that you sold them "to feed to their animals", then that's their own business and wouldn't need to be regulated .

Anyone know if this theory is actually true or not ?

Back
Top Bottom