Anyone sell duck eggs? How much is too much?

neverbdone

Songster
14 Years
Dec 9, 2008
Lake Isabella, CA
I sell chicken and duck eggs at our local Farmers Market. Our chicken eggs (two of us vendors sell chicken eggs) sell out at $4.00 per dozen. Of course ducks don't lay like chickens do. And, you can't just buy duck eggs at Vons.

I was selling the duck eggs for $5.00 for six eggs. Another vendor (the one who sells chicken eggs too) told me that is too much. So, I dropped the price to $4.00 for six eggs. She is still telling me that is still too much. I almost always sell out because I only have 2 or 3 to sell. I think she is just upset that I have something different than she does.

Anyone else sell duck eggs and at what price? How much are the chicken eggs in your area compared to duck eggs? Am I asking too much?
hmm.png

Thank you for your replies Scooter and GFS. Prices vary so much throughout the country, even throughout the state. We are now paying $24.00 a bag for layer pellet. It used to only be $15. I'm thinking of growing my own feed. As long as the hens lay though, they pay for themselves and the ducks.

I was over on the coast last summer and stopped by an ostrich farm. They wanted $40.00 per egg
ep.gif
. Having just done that math, I think I'll stick with the $4.00 for 6 since I'm the only duck egg game in town and they do sell.

Your neighbor is jealous and maybe a little thick in the head. If you are selling out at $6 a dozen, you are not asking too much. Duck eggs are larger, more nutritious, harder to find, better for baking, and have a zealous following among those in the know. I have a chef friend who will pay $7 or $8 a dozen if she can't find them cheaper (and usually pays $6 a dozen).

Just smile and thank her for her help. And go on charging the price that the market will bear. Sell them to the people who value them the most (the people willing to shell out the highest amount of money). Enjoy!

I live in Maine and have bought duck eggs both at $5 a dozen and $5 for 6. It depended on supply available.

I now have my own ducks and when I had alot, sold them for $5 dozen. Now I'm hoarding cause they aren't laying.

If you sell out, don't worry about what that other lady tells you is too high. If the demand it there, you can set the price.

In my area, chickens eggs are as low as $1.00 per dozen. Chicken eggs in my area are like a cup of coffee or bottled water. They are everywhere. Fresh chicken eggs are no biggy in my area. This is Louisiana. We are a farming state, so no one really cares about fresh chicken eggs.

Not too many people sell duck eggs but I do. My duck eggs prices are below:
Duck eggs for eating - $5.00 per dozen
Duck eggs for hatching - $13.00 per dozen

Last edited:
I think if you are selling out of duck eggs then whatever price you are charging is just right. If people aren't buying your duck eggs...then you might want to drop your price...but why would you drop your price if people are paying it? And what does she care? If she wants to sell duck eggs for less than let her.
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom