1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone sell eggs at an honor system egg stand? Have problems?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cupman, Aug 19, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I was thinking of building some kind of stand I could place on the side of the road by my friends house, he lives on a main street. It wouldn't be ran by anyone it would just be the honor system where you grab a carton of eggs out of one of the coolers and stick a few dollars into some locked drawer. A couple concerns, however. First, people never cease to amaze me on how low they stoop, I would hate to go to the work to build a stand just to have someone bash it open for $14. Secondly, teenagers using eggs as vandalism projectiles. Anyone run any stand similar to the one I mentioned? Had any success? Any horror stories?

By Spring I'll have over 30 laying hens and as much as I give eggs away they still pile up on me.

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Ducky (callducks) had his broken into earlier this week.

3. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:Yah, people are not allways be honest. Lock the money box, nail it to a pole stuck 3 feet in to conctrete so they can't get the money (ok well don't need to do the concrete but i would recomaned the first few things)

4. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I'm not sure, but our local goat farm has an honor stand for yogurt, milk, raw milk (have to sign a waiver), and cheese. I love it! It makes it so much easier as a working couple to still be able to swing by and pick products up from them. We just made frozen custard with their milk last night...yum! [​IMG]

5. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    We have one near the SOs brothers house..
    He has a dozen eggs for $1 plus corn and tomatoes

I went to it for the first time yesterday just to see how much they were
    Threw them in the bater and my first chick hatched this morning [​IMG]

We personally like to keep to ourselves so stands likee this are great.
    This guys had his out for... 8+ years

6. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Quote:Surely, I hope, you misspoke.

7. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:Surely, I hope, you misspoke.

[​IMG] that was a fast hatch! Maybe the stand owner needs to refrigerate the eggs, not leave them under a broody.

8. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Thems there waz some magical eggs [​IMG]
    I thought I typed a few weeks ago but was in the middle of telling a story about something that happend yesterday

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  9. Chickangel79

Chickangel79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    United Kingdom Suffolk
    We sell ours in the UK that way, we are on a tourist route and get plenty of sales. I do bring it all in at night in case any slightly merry people have funny ideas. We haven't had a problem yet, we sell half dozen for 70p and a few people drop a £1 instead which is always nice !
    We only have a jar and lid for the money too.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  10. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    We have had a roadside veggie stand for the last 3 years. This year was the first time someone took something without paying. But a few days later I had more money in the pot than what had sold, so I think the person came back and paid for it. We recieve a lot of tips too. We sell pumpkins in the Fall and so far no one has gotten the bright idea to smash them at night. I do think people like the convenience and the low pressure an un-manned stand gives you. Good luck in whatever you decide. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by