Anyone set eggs this weekend?

The temp in my bator keeps dropping!! I slipped some warm water in through the vent hole onto one of the rags. The humidity is up but the temp is dropped !!
Okay, i've had my previous question answered. My son and I were in there and heard sombody peeping! There's no pips yet, but definatly a peep. I had him bring in one of out 7 week old chicks and we held her over the bator so she could help "talk" the others in to coming out. Silly, I know.

Quick Update - 3 little peeps hatched out last night. They look healthy - no yolk sack hanging out, which I was afraid of since my temps have been a bit high. There are more pipping.

Donna Sue, yes, you can hear peeping when they pip into the air sack. You can hear it loud and clear!!! I talked to mine last night through their shells with the incubator lid on and I had no trouble hearing them at all!!! Yeah, I know I'm nuts.

I have to go out of town again and won't be back until sometime Sunday, so I'll post an update and pics as soon as I can.

This is so exciting!!!!!!!!

Good luck everybody. I look forward to coming back and checking on everyone's progress.

Lori

Okay so my temps went down to 94 (while I was watching) then because I kept turning the heat up, they went to 105!!!! Of course i've been sitting right there and messing with the temp knob. I just hope it's okay!!! After having the one egg burst open in there yesterday and seeing that poor little dead baby, i've been so worried about anything happening.
I called my hubby and told him to get his butt to the feed store and buy another small waterer because we're going to need it when out little ones are ready for the brooder box. How exciting!
Oh, and my son swears that one of the eggs moved. Not just a tiny bit but he said it sort of rolled one way and then back again real fast. Must be getting close to some action!!!

big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

The kids and I have been sitting next to that darn bator for so long now. Each time we hear a little peep it brings such a huge smile to their faces! Guess what?! We've got TWO PIPS!!!! What a miracle! As is sit in hear (away from the bator) I hear the kids joyfully telling me "it moved again!"
What an exciting thing for the kids (and me)!
I'll be back with some posts on our progress!

Okay Guys - I want to see pictures!!!

I think my hatch is over, with 12 good babies. One had really crooked legs/toes (couldn't even stand), and one had a problem with it's umbilical, but the rest are doing great. Tonight I'll sleep!

Lori - How did you get your humidity up? Are you using a styrofoam incubator? Mine is an LG, and I can't get it over 55%, even with wet socks and cups of hot water added. I think our AC is drying out the room too much...

Donna - Good luck with your hatch!!! It's so exciting!

Congrats everyone, and post some pics...

-- Susan

Our first baby chick is halfway out now!!! The top of the shell is off and it just needs to kick the bottom off.
Yes, it's just after 5:00 am and i've been up watching the little booger for a couple of hours.
THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Donna, Very cute babies!!! Hope you got more over the weekend... I've been locked out of the server for days now.

Is that no-skid drawer liner in the bator?

-- Susan

Susan, yes that's no-skid material in the bottom of the bator. There's a gal on here named Cynthia who used it. It works really great to keep the eggs from rolling around too much when little ones hatch and knock them around. It's also softer and has smaller holes than the wire rack in there so i'm betting it's better on their little feet.
We started with 15, lost one due to a weak shell or something, got down to 14, had one hatch but was retarded, and ended up with 9 beautiful baby chicks.
I think it was a good turn out for my first hatch.
It's going to be interesting to see what the black sex-link crossed with my little bantam roo baby is going to grow up to look like. It looked like a giant egg in there with all those bantam eggs!

Lori? How'd it go with the FFA trip? How's your hatchlings???

Back
Top Bottom