Anyone setting eggs tomorrow (13th March, EDD Apr 3rd)

I'm going to be firing up the incubator on Sunday. I have 12 BO eggs that I bought locally and the rest will be my own mixed eggs. I have an LG still air that I added a computer fan to. I had a 33% hatch rate my first time and nearly 50% the second.

It's not great, but it's not too bad, either.

I don't hand turn. I place a board under one side of the incubator and then shift it from one side to the other three times per day. Because LGs are so sensitive to temperature changes I found that worked better than opening up the bator three times per day.

I love the baby fuzzy butts but they grow up so fast and then I need another fix. Don't tell DH but I'm thinking a need another coop (No. 4)
wink.png
)

Good luck everyone with your hatches.

Denise

What is the absolute min and max for temperature? My two thermometers don't quite agree either.

Ideal temp should be 99.5. I had it hover between the high 98's up to 101 with my last hatch and did fine.

I used the dry incubation method last time and also hatched them in carton's, and I will be repeating that method.

I kept the humidity between 20-35 for the first 18 days, and then tried to keep it in the 60's for lockdown.

Tamara​

I started my Turkey and Pekin eggs Yesterday. They are due to hatch April 7th. I should also have some Muscovy eggs next week which will be that will be due to hatch The End of April.

Yay I am putting in some in the morning! We can be Buddies.
celebrate.gif
Mine will be blue and blue ,gold laced wyandottes.

Last edited:
Hi! I set a bunch of them last night, theoretically due April 1st, but the last time they hatched over a course of three days, so I know what chicks think of what they're "supposed" to do! I have a big cabinet incubator, and I've found that it holds its temp better when it's full, so I put a bunch in there. I have about 70 "barnyard mix" eggs that may have Silkie, Turken, Ameraucana, Australorp, Marans, Barred Rock, and Random Chicken in their background. Soooo, mutts! Then there are bantam mutts, which are distinguished from the others only by being smaller. I have 10 Ameraucana/Wyandotte eggs that I got from a hobby breeder; she's been trying to get laced Ameraucanas. I am emotionally prepared to get black chicks that lay brown eggs, but there is a tiny, miniscule chance that I could get a laced hen that lays green/blue eggs. And that's what I want! But with my luck they will probably all end up being black roosters. XD This is only my second time using this particular incubator, but I have hatched a few other clutches. I have two little boys, and they love seeing the chicks! It's such a blast.

I look forward to sharing "hatch day" with you folk!

Good now I might have somebody to keep me from checking the bator every 5 seconds. Being it is in the kitchen I am always having to stop and check to go anyplace in this house.
big_smile.png

I have 3 stagared hatches 2 are close to yours,4 dozen due on April 1st and 1 dozen bantams due on April 3rd(setting them this morning). If I get the last 6 in the mail today ill put em in today with the 1 dozen bantams.

Ok, have edited thread title.

Eggs are in...waiting for incubator to come back up to temp. (How long does that normally take?)

What are dangerous temperatures? I have 3 thermometers in there giving 3 different readings - the analog one that came with and two digital.
Think I should've calibated them maybe. I don't have the instructions anymore - how do you normally calibrate a digital thermometer?

Back
Top Bottom