Anyone setting eggs tomorrow (13th March, EDD Apr 3rd)

Quote:
Ideal temp should be 99.5. I had it hover between the high 98's up to 101 with my last hatch and did fine.

I used the dry incubation method last time and also hatched them in carton's, and I will be repeating that method.

I kept the humidity between 20-35 for the first 18 days, and then tried to keep it in the 60's for lockdown.

Tamara

I believe that's the temp for incubator's with fans. Still air I believe is 101.5.

I ran my still air hovabator the last time at 100 (which is in the instructions) and it was too low. I had chicks hatching late. So I increased it a bit this time.

My still air LG is staying at 100 to 102. Since it is in the Kitchen (least drafty room that had space) the humidity and temp doesn't fluctuate all that much. It does drop to 95 when I open it to turn and rotate them. Not gonna get any to hatch till April 7th. I have to candle on the 17th and then again on the 24th. This way we can see if we got any viable ones.

The eggs have been in for 4 hours now and the temperature is still only at 97.
I realise the eggs have a thermal mass (and there is 34 of them) and take a while to warm through and I don't want to fiddle the setting (which was hovering between 99.5 and 101 before the eggs went in) in case it then overshoots when the eggs get warm.
hu.gif

Is it normal to take this long to get up to temperature?

(And am I going to be high maintenance for the next 3 weeks???
lol.png
)

I set this morning too! Easter Babies here we come!
I was calling mine mutts, But I like the name barnyard mixes!
mommys are EE, brahma or silkies, daddys could be EE, brahma or silkie! I want a silkie/EEer
big_smile.png

Quote:
the way you can test to see how close the mercury them is to place it in a glass of ice and water, and let it stay in it for ten minutes and it should read 32 deg. and to calbrate the humidty guage, place 1/4 cup of salt in glass and 1/2 cup of water and mix up and place humidty guage on side of glass, then place glass and guage in zip lock bag for 8 hours and should read 75% (if it reads 81% you know it is off +6%, if it reads 60% you know it is off -15%. )

To get the temp back up can take a bit if you have a lot of eggs in there. Does everything seem to be operating normally?

Quote:
Seems to be. I have fiddled a bit to raise it - I am here all day so can check it every half hour or so to be sure it doesn't go too high.
Feels like spring is finally here! Eggs in the incubator, maple taps in the trees, ducks back on the pond and snow is almost gone...
ya.gif

Hi Y'all!
Can I join in?
Yesterday (3/12) I just set 7 silkie eggs from Sassy Silkies and 1 egg from my own hens which will hatch a EE x cuckoo maran.
I'm hoping it will be an olive egger of sorts.
Carolyn

I set 12 of various breeds at midnite lastnite. The eggs were given to me (yay), so no idea what breeds. Looked like she had some barred rock hens, standard cochin roo, and some other uinknowns. Could be mutts and thats alright.

Im not sure how the lady stored them but it looks like she washed them. No telling if they will even develop. But Im ok with that since I didnt pay anything for them. Hoping they do hatch, excited to see what comes out!

Back
Top Bottom