Anyone ship duck eggs to Texas??

Ashleymarie529

Chirping
Feb 17, 2017
Katy (Houston), TX
So about an hour ago I walked into TSC during their chick days thing and was BITTEN... by the inescapable BIRD BUG!
1f60d.png

But I noticed that even while I was standing there, several ducklings were taken back to the nursery area and were hardly moving... so maybe not TSC... poor babies. I offered to buy the sick ones to try and save them but the lady wouldn't have it...
1f62b.png

Anyways, I've decided that maybe the route I want to go is hatching some eggs under one of my silkie hens. My ducks are kinda young, so idk if they'd be good sitting candidates but my silkies might. Can my Silkie's still sit on some eggs even though they haven't started laying yet? (They should be laying pretty soon here. they're 6 months)
And will anyone ship eggs to Houston? Will you ship only two eggs (she's not a terribly large bird, being a silkie)? 1 khaki Campbell and 1 pekin? So many questions, I know... never hatched before.

Hi fellow Houstonian!

Like they said above...a chicken has to go "broody"..I do't think this usually happens before they start laying.
You will know if and when they do go broody...they will stay in their nest box/area and not come out...for days....

Some chicken breeds are "know" to go broody more often than others, but that does not mean they will.

Have you thought about getting an incubator? You can build a home made one too...there are threads on here that show you how.

You can order day old chicks and ducks from Idea www.idealpoultry.com ....they hatch out on a Wednesday morning and ship them that same afternoon...I usually pick up my orders first thing Thursday mornings--not even 24 hours old.

Do you only have silkies?

Hi fellow Houstonian!

Like they said above...a chicken has to go "broody"..I do't think this usually happens before they start laying.
You will know if and when they do go broody...they will stay in their nest box/area and not come out...for days....

Some chicken breeds are "know" to go broody more often than others, but that does not mean they will.

Have you thought about getting an incubator?  You can build a home made one too...there are threads on here that show you how.

You can order day old chicks and ducks from Idea www.idealpoultry.com ....they hatch out on a Wednesday morning and ship them that same afternoon...I usually pick up my orders first thing Thursday mornings--not even 24 hours old.

Do you only have silkies?

Yes I only have Silkie's. that's just the breed I like and I'm not interested in having others right now:)

Totally makes sense about them having to lay first. Thanks for your politeness, Fellow Houstonian!! I never thought they would magically sit. Yeesh.

I thought about ordering, but most places charge you the extra money for shipping in the small box. My order at metzers was going to be $70 bucks!

Yes I only have Silkie's. that's just the breed I like and I'm not interested in having others right now:)

Totally makes sense about them having to lay first. Thanks for your politeness, Fellow Houstonian!! I never thought they would magically sit. Yeesh.

I thought about ordering, but most places charge you the extra money for shipping in the small box. My order at metzers was going to be $70 bucks!

you can place small orders at Ideal...the charge for a 'small" order is only 10.00. very reasonable place..IMO.

It's hard to judge what other people know or don't know through one post..
Would you believe people think you have to have a rooster indoor for a hen to lay eggs.

Check out the Texas thread...Ill send you the link in the next post..
I am almost positive you will find another close to Houston person who has duck eggs.

My silkies will hatch anything I put under them, including goose eggs!

I have some ancona duck eggs and silkie/sizzle/showgirl eggs. Proven fertile. Happy to do a small order. Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Back
Top Bottom