Anyone still feel like they belong to the middle-class? Vent...

One day while driving to in-laws house, our 3 year old daughter randomly asked if we were rich. I said "Yes, we are rich....do you know what rich means?" "No" she said "What does it mean?" I said "Rich means you have family who loves you, a house to live in and food to eat...so yes, we are rich".

When we got to in-laws house I asked her grandfather to go ask her if she was rich. She proudly answered:

"Yes, granddad I am rich. That means I have family who loves me, a house to live in and food to eat."

25 years later that is still the definition of RICH that we use.

Quote:
I agree. I was watching the travel channel and Andrew Zimmern of Bizarre foods was in Borneo I think...anyway, the village created this feast in his honor and you could tell all the neighbors were close to eachother, everyone shared what they had and a simple way of life with everyone helping eachother is how they live daily. I looked at my husband and said I would much rather live in a cozy little hut with good neighbors and yak meat, fish, planted crops and hand spun clothing then live like this, not knowing if we will have a job next month, wondering how to pay the bills if something goes wrong. Plus I like how everyone helped eachother. They may be poor but they live rich and every single person in that simple village was HAPPY. What would that be like?

I would love to live that way too...always wanted to be a mennonite:>)

Quote:
Oh, terrific! That is the kind of kid I aspire to raise
smile.png

I dunno though. I have more than once had Stupid arguments with my DH on this subject. We presently have a 1200 sq ft house on 19 acres that is more than half paid for; no other debts (paid cash for [used] cars); enough money to have satellite tv and internet service and not have to worry how the utility or grocery bills will be paid next month and still put a few thousand into retirement and college savings each year. He has a government job with almost total job security and a LUXE pension plan (and when he took 4-5 months' parental leave off work when each child was born, his union has such a stupidly good contract that because he didn't have to spend money on gas for commuting during that time, we actually *made a profit* on the parental leave!).

However, he comes from a family with a smaller house but significantly more money than where I come from; also, he lived in his parents' house (with very little expense, effort or responsibility) til getting married in his 40s.

He astonishes (and worries) me by firmly believing that we are, although not actually Poor per se, at least struggling and poorly-off
hmm.png
I asked him "what would it take for you to feel that we are not necessarily rich but at least 'well off'?" His answer was that we'd (only) be well off if we could buy whatever we wanted to without ever having to think about whether there was enough money for it :eek:

I think he's NUTS, but he is adamant on the subject
sad.png

I am trying to raise our kids to understand that they are rich in all possible important ways (and many unimportant ones too) -- and since I am at home to raise them, I may have *some* chance of prevailing -- but I really dunno. It's kinda depressing
sad.png

Pat, inordinately blessed in all *other* respects
hmm.png

Quote:
This is my DH's philosophy as well.. however, it is because he comes from a pretty poor background and watched his parents struggle with debt their entire lives.... his dad just took out a 50 grand mortgage on a TOTALLY paid of house to pay off CREDIT CARDS! And we have just enough for our groceries, gas, and living expenses. We have very little money to put into savings and life always manages to throw us curve balls. I KNOW why my DH feels the way he does... it would be nice when life throws us a curve ball to be able to just "fix" whatever it is. Would be nice to take a family vacation. We were hoping to take one this year, but it will depend on how much lay-off time he gets and how much over-time he can work the rest of the time. Of course part of this is how he sees things too.... example.. I want to take the kids camping... hiking, tents and campfires..... he wants to go to a KOA? type campground
tongue.png
::sigh:: But, I will do it if it makes him happy..... he sees things a bit differently than I do.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Long thoughts....

The problem is , as a society we are now dependent on corporations for work, and corporations demand full time plus.
Working from home, excecpt on a computer, having a garden or chickens is not "normal". Families are givien lip service.....
Its a huge mindset problem.
The school system seems desgined to turn out production/cubicle/service wrokers.

I work at Intel, one of the biggest corporations, I am lucky to work two days a week, in a very menial vaugely important position. I have had this job for 7 years, no benefits, no raise for five years..... it nets 300$ a week.

But I have a small house, small garden , four "stealth chickens", a paid off van, cook everything, and support my mother and sister who have cancer....
I have a small business I run part time from my garage... and I am happy, becuase I have so many chcoices...
I am not married, so there is no other income....

I realize that corporations trade/sell/ layoff workers like middle ages serfs. Does anyone else notice this?
My division was bought by another company, the new masters will be out to see us next week.... am I worried,?

No , I kept my life simple, small and have money in the bank.
Its sad to watch the panic when the Intelites get laid off,,, and they were making huge money,,, but saved none of it. All of them have big houses, fancy cars....

I think some Americans are starting to slowly understand the corporations are a bad employemnt deal for most people,,, very few winners in a very competetive game. its only a matter of time before your are out of the game.....or your job is sent to china or india.( I think if you want your children your children to be happy, advise against a corporation track job.....)

Controlling your own means of production is the way to any freedom..... most people in America have forgotten this basic rule.

Am I rich? Well I do not have to beg for a job....
if I do not like the new bosses or their new work plan then I can leave.....
thats true power.

I do use two credit cards, one for busineess expense and one for everything else. I pay them off every two weeks on line and have never carried a balance.....

The book, YOUR MONEY OR YOUR LIFE got me started on this plan 15 years ago,, check it out if you want peace of mind and a not empty bank account.
its practical and not an ad copy book....

strawberries will be coming on next week, mom is 78 , but we have our canning stuff ready, 12 pints will hold us until next year.
then this year I insist we do a few jars of relish......

I love reading about others like me...... I feel less alone in a world that has gone crazy consuming stuff.....
count me as retired as I need to be at 48.......
cheers and good luck and keep writing!

Well, I have to say one thing: Chickens save you money on eggs!
wink.png

But, also, (If you can stomach it...) they can provide you with food.
Am I right?

Actually, for meat, it often costs more than if you buy the cheap stuff on sale at the store. The general consumer can't get feed as cheap as commercial industry can so we can't make food at 99 cents a lb. However, the quality of life is infinitely better.

Quote:
Oh, terrific! That is the kind of kid I aspire to raise
smile.png

I dunno though. I have more than once had Stupid arguments with my DH on this subject. We presently have a 1200 sq ft house on 19 acres that is more than half paid for; no other debts (paid cash for [used] cars); enough money to have satellite tv and internet service and not have to worry how the utility or grocery bills will be paid next month and still put a few thousand into retirement and college savings each year. He has a government job with almost total job security and a LUXE pension plan (and when he took 4-5 months' parental leave off work when each child was born, his union has such a stupidly good contract that because he didn't have to spend money on gas for commuting during that time, we actually *made a profit* on the parental leave!).

However, he comes from a family with a smaller house but significantly more money than where I come from; also, he lived in his parents' house (with very little expense, effort or responsibility) til getting married in his 40s.

He astonishes (and worries) me by firmly believing that we are, although not actually Poor per se, at least struggling and poorly-off
hmm.png
I asked him "what would it take for you to feel that we are not necessarily rich but at least 'well off'?" His answer was that we'd (only) be well off if we could buy whatever we wanted to without ever having to think about whether there was enough money for it :eek:

I think he's NUTS, but he is adamant on the subject
sad.png

I am trying to raise our kids to understand that they are rich in all possible important ways (and many unimportant ones too) -- and since I am at home to raise them, I may have *some* chance of prevailing -- but I really dunno. It's kinda depressing
sad.png

Pat, inordinately blessed in all *other* respects
hmm.png

Hah! This sounds like my husband, too. He grew up on several hundred acres (farming), so to him our 40 is dinky. I feel so incredibly wealthy. I'm at home with my kids, too, so I tell him it is my privilege to indoctrinate the children
smile.png
Joking (mostly)!

Thats awesome JKM!
You have your head in the right place.

Very true, Ruth.

Guitartists too..

Most folks seem to think that charge cards are the beat all end all...they're the quick route to the poor farm if you don't use them correctly.

Anime, my Ds would throw a fit if he saw your avatar...he can't stand Sakura. LOL

Back
Top Bottom