Anyone the breed of these?

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
I'm probably starting to get annoying, Ive asked this question 2 times in the last 5 weeks
hide.gif
but, now that my chicks are bigger, Im wondering if you guys can tell the breed
smile.png

They are both roos, just about 5 weeks old. One of them is a darker color with more speckles while the other a lighter red.
So here is the darker fellow
50920_dscn8772.jpg

50920_dscn8767.jpg

50920_dscn8768.jpg

and then here is the lighter one
50920_dscn8780.jpg

50920_dscn8781.jpg

50920_dscn8790.jpg

I'm thinking maybe either rhode island red or production red but I have no idea how to tell the difference?
Ive been looking at some pictures of other rhode island reds this size and their legs seem to be yellow. My birds have really bright almost orange colored legs so im not sure about rhode island reds.
This is just a thought, but do they almost look like freedom rangers?
Thanks
smile.png

there really is not a difference between a hatchery RIR and a production red, which is what she is. we have one and she is very sweet a good layer. a heritage RIR bred to the standard is much much darker. she will be a great little girl for you

They are probably Rhode Island Reds, but maybe New Hampshires.

When chickens are young, their legs/feet will be very bright in color. As they get older, their legs/feet fade.

68634_dsc_0091-1.jpg

here is a pic of one of mine I haven't been able to identify, someone told me PR...SUPER sweet and gentle, hops into my lap every night and sits...

68634_ginger1.jpg

Here is a more recent one, redder and just last night I noticed she is getting very red...
she looks similar to yours...I still don't know for sure what I have either!

Back
Top Bottom