anyone tried this feeder?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sniper338, Dec 30, 2015.

1. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Anyone tried this kinda style... looks like itd work fairly well if holes were a bit raised up and smaller maybe? I want to try it my own way... but they cant scratch it out... just wondering...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Are those 5 gallon water jugs?

How do they fill them?

3. sniper338

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas

Yes they are 5 gallon jugs... and LOL, sorry.. you pull them out of the bucket... set them on the ground, fill em.. set the pvc on the neck, put the bucket on top.. then flip it over...

4. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    They should work fine, but I'd still hang it to reduce waste.

5. hillbillyreefer

hillbillyreefer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2015
    They look pretty neat, they also look like a pain to fill.

6. enola

This is what I was thinking. The opening to those containers are not very large. If you only have a few chickens it would probably work.

7. sniper338

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Cut the bottom off a milk jug and use it as a funnel.. id think itd last a week or so at least... with the birds i have itd last way more than a week... if it worked well and didnt waste a lot..

8. hillbillyreefer

hillbillyreefer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2015
    Perfect! They are cool looking. If You build them please post back and let us know how they work out for you.

9. enola

I think it will work just great for the small flock owner. I would even recommend it.

But for the flock owner that feeds 50 pounds of feed every day. It might be too time consuming. . . .

If, I was going to use this feeder, I would remove the bottom of the water jug and leave it permanently in the bucket, then fill it with a large scoop to save time.......

10. GodofPecking

GodofPecking Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2015
    that is perfect. I am going to try it right now with some soda bottles / soft drink bottles and scissors

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by