Anyone try quinoa for added protein

Gorman Farm

Songster
Nov 16, 2015
I was just wondering, does anyone else use quinoa?
During a molt I read that they need extra protein, quinoa is a grain that has the highest amount of protein and I happened to have some in my cupboard since we eat it.
I make my hens a little scramble a couple times a week with an egg, small amount of the egg shell crumbled and a tablespoon or so of quinoa. They love it and it keeps them laying even during warm weather (I am in Florida) and also during molts. If I happen to have any green pepper or tomato I chop that up too and mix in after cooking.

I guess you are the only one feeding it. I personally don't buy it because I don't like it, but it sounds like chickens do. Thank you for the information.

I guess if you had a big flock it would be expensive. It is a good source of protein though and the chickens love it.I do not cook it when I give it to them.
I didn't like it the first time I tried it warm either. I got a recipe from a friend that called for cooking it and chilling it and mixing it with balsamic vinegar, olive oil and chopped veggies and it is great that way.

That's why I had to stop giving my chickens oatmeal in winter, I have around 60 chickens, they loved that too, sometimes I give it to my bantam because there's only 15 of them. I haven't tried balsamic vinegar, I watch the cooking shows so I've heard of it but I don't like food I'm not used to. We do give our chickens all kinds of left overs.

I use chicken bones to make nutritious bone broth. It takes three days on the stove top, but only three hours in the pressure cooker, tho get the bones soft and crushable. My chickens eat the bones, skin, and connective tissue (all cooked), and they love it! I think it is a cheap way to get extra calcium and other nutrition into the chickens, as I would normally just throw the bones away. :)

You are absolutely right – when your birds are molting, egg production is slowed or even stops. Since feathers are 85% protein, it makes sense that they’ll need a larger amount of protein in order to support laying. If your birds are having a tough molt, we recommend switching them to a diet higher in protein, such as Purina
00ae.png
Flock Raiser
00ae.png
Poultry Feed. This complete diet includes all of the nutrients your birds need and has a 20% protein level to help give your birds an extra oomph.

If grains such as quinoa, alfalfa or sesame seeds are your preference, you should be careful how much extra you feed. We always recommend following the 90/10 rule; 90% of your birds’ diet should be a complete feed and supplemented by no more than 10% treats.

Click here to learn more. Treats & Snacks: Are They Good for My Hens?

Thanks Dr Briggs, I prefer not to use Purina products they contain GMO corn and soy.
By feeding non GMO layer pellets and feeding the quinoa I am effectively bumping up the protein and calcium diet for my birds when they need it.
They also have a very large tractor for foraging bugs, and grazing.
I appreciate your reply.

No but I was reading in a chicken care book what a good addition it was in regards to an underweight bird so was planning to add to the diet of my underweight bird recovering from crop surgery.

I have used them for my Guinea fowl-they love it!!!
Tried it on my chickens......eh, not so much.
To each his own!

I haven't fed quinoa yet, but I have used other high-protein grains such as amaranth and teff. They're a bit less expensive than quinoa right now (and just as tasty!).

Back
Top Bottom