Anyone try those alfalfa/timothy cubes?

I know this thread is a month or so old but I just came across it and wanted to put my two cents in. I believe some people in this thread are confusing "alfalfa" with "beet pulp." They are two different things. Alfalfa is a type of legume grass grown and dried to make alfalfa hay. Alfalfa comes in 50lb bags shaped as cubes or pellets and is simply chopped alfalfa hay pressed into either a cube shape about 1 1/2" x 3" or a smaller pellet shape. Alfalfa is not normally soaked in water before feeding to horses. Alfalfa cubes/pellets are mainly used when you can't get the big square bales of alfalfa hay for your horses or as just a tasty treat for them.

Beet pulp is derived from processing beets. It also comes in 50lb bags both as pellets or shredded pieces. Most times the beet pulp has molasses mixed with it to make it more palatable. Both pelleted and shredded beet pulp are commonly soaked in water before being fed to horses and they expand a lot when re-hydrated but some people feed it dry and have no problems. Beet pulp is normally used as a feed/fiber supplement for horses.

None of my chickens or my guineas like alfalfa cubes but my horses love them. I have not ever given beet pulp to my poultry just because I do not use it for my horses.

All of the above information has been retrieved from my tired memory so as always, I reserve the right to be wrong.
tongue.png

Rose

Mine won't eat the pellets either. They also won't eat the the southern states floating waterfowl food (they where out of everything when i went to the feed store) Luckily whatever my geese won't eat my chickens will so they get it as a treat or we take a little here and there to the nearby duck pond. As far as the pellets, i get the ones for horses made from grass or timothy not alfalfa since the protein is a little lower and i can still feed it to my horses.

I have tried the Timothy pellets meant for horses and NOPE disgusting according to all four of our geese might try again but otherwise a bag of wasted food. Ours are very picky it seems though.

I guess I will give them a try...........just because I have a bag of it lol. Mine are very picky too!!! It would be great to have for some greens now that snow is here. :)

Back
Top Bottom