egg count increasing!

JPadronMiami

Chirping
May 24, 2024
Picked up 15 eggs yesterday, the count norm for us (prior to March 2024) was much higher but we're headed in the right direction, eggs are large and clean, yesterday the temperature high was 96 and the low was 79 in the evening been replacing the water containers with fresh water daily, keeping fans on 24/7, unseasonably hot lately (climate change) heat crept in sooner than it normally would have compared to previous years for this time of the year. haven't been giving them greens from table scraps lately either when I found out that greens such as spinach and kale which my chickens ate regularly absorbed the calcium in their gut and could cause low egg count or no egg laying, was wondering, does anyone know if feeding them Alfalfa, Timothy, or orchard grass, or a combinations of these is a good source of greens for chickens?, I feed these hay to my horses so I have a steady supply of these bales in the tack room. Joe

I found out that greens such as spinach and kale which my chickens ate regularly absorbed the calcium in their gut and could cause low egg count or no egg laying
This can cause thin shelled eggs, but doesn't affect the number of eggs.

How many birds and how old, in weeks or months, are they?
What is their regular diet?

35 hens not counting few roosters, they range from 18 months to 3 years, Black Austrolorps, Easter Eggers, Black JG's, Brown Leghorns, i now feed them the Kalmach Henhouse Reserve complete feed some scratch, free choice oyster shells and DE in the feed, I stopped the greens and now holding back on the Mealy Works to maybe 2 times a week. big change today though I picked up 36 eggs Sunday just past large full clean eggs, Im glad I did the change from Dumar feed to Kalmach

Attachments

• Eggs Sunday 26 mid day.jpg
    Eggs Sunday 26 mid day.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom