Anyone try to return Producers Pride feed?

VinnyVincent

Chirping
May 4, 2020
SE Texas
I was at Tractor Supply and since the last few batches of DuMore pellets I usually feed them has been powdery lately, I noticed a 40lb bag of Producers Pride pellets for 16.50. I also got a 50lb bag of DuMore for 18.99, so very similar in price.

My chickens flat out won’t eat the Priducers Pride. I’ve never seen anything like it. I left it out for three days and while they normally eat the bowl full every day or two, it was almost untouched for three days.
I then tried mixing DuMor with the Producer’s Pride and they just pick out the DuMor pellets.

Has anyone had this experience? Is it reasonable to return the opened Producers Pride bag?

I wouldn’t do this to a feed store, but since this is their in house brand, it seems reasonable.

That's a $2.50 price differential, I would consider that significant. A couple of things. Have you compared the labels, the guaranteed analysis to see how they stack up as to ingredients, protein, etc.? Do they have similar mill dates? And most importantly, do a sniff test. Does the PP smell moldy, musty or in any way unpalatable to you compared to the Dumor? If the answer is yes, by all means take it back. If your birds won't eat it, I would take it back anyway but that's just me. Who can afford to throw away $16.50? Take a store credit and use it toward a sack of the brand you know your birds will eat, is my advice.

I was at Tractor Supply and since the last few batches of DuMore pellets I usually feed them has been powdery lately, I noticed a 40lb bag of Producers Pride pellets for 16.50. I also got a 50lb bag of DuMore for 18.99, so very similar in price.

My chickens flat out won’t eat the Priducers Pride. I’ve never seen anything like it. I left it out for three days and while they normally eat the bowl full every day or two, it was almost untouched for three days.
I then tried mixing DuMor with the Producer’s Pride and they just pick out the DuMor pellets.

Has anyone had this experience? Is it reasonable to return the opened Producers Pride bag?

I wouldn’t do this to a feed store, but since this is their in house brand, it seems reasonable.
Nice user name!

The only food I have ever bought from Tractor Supply was a bag of Dumore scratch because our feed store was out and it was so full of dust you had to be up wind when you gave it to them. I threw over a half of the bag away and went to the local HEB and got a small bag of wild bird food and fed that till I could get some scratch. I'll never buy anymore feed from Tractor Supply.

Don't know what's with it exactly, but my girls absolutely hate it when I buy Producers Pride... especially the organic ones 🤷‍♀️

I buy my feed from TSC. All 4 hens were laying and then 1 stopped, a few weeks later only 1 is laying. I'm looking for my receipt to return a 50 pound bag. It's got me scared. They're still eating it, but dang.

If the food is not out of date, moldy, buggy, or otherwise deficient in quality I don't think you have any right to expect to be able to return it.

Would you expect your grocery store to give you a return on a box of cereal or a can of soup because your family didn't like the taste?

Personally, if I had no reason to believe that the feed in question was legitimately inedible, I'd put it into the feeders, walk away, and expect them to eat it when they got hungry. :)

If the food is not out of date, moldy, buggy, or otherwise deficient in quality I don't think you have any right to expect to be able to return it.

Would you expect your grocery store to give you a return on a box of cereal or a can of soup because your family didn't like the taste?

Personally, if I had no reason to believe that the feed in question was legitimately inedible, I'd put it into the feeders, walk away, and expect them to eat it when they got hungry. :)
Nope, I looked again and just have an unopened bag of scratch. I'll use it eventually. Meanwhile, I was down to a single lady laying a single egg daily out of four hens. At my wits end, I decided to open up the barn and run door and let them free range the 1/3rd acre of trees with about a 8 inch layer of fallen leaves and damp ground below b/c it was sunny and cool. I observed them and they went for the greens first (so that's a clue) then I checked later and Mr Mr was back on his game with one of his girls (another clue) and all four hens at some point in the day made their way back to the nesting boxes and laid FOUR eggs!!! I don't like to free range them too much b/c of our hawks, but hey I think they were bored with life, bored eating the same thing day after day. I found a nearby mill that carries 20% protein layer feed they make, so I'm going to check out next week.

Back
Top Bottom