Anyone up for a Hatchalong?

It's the one that lost the least, on day 42 weigh in (hatched day 49) it lost 61g total & lost about 8-9g a week when the others lost 13-14g & total weight loss in the 80s...I have some Sav-A-Chick, should I use that? Also I don't really know how to tape up legs, I just guessed at how you all did it so will you please tell me how you do it? It's probably been 6 or so hours since I put it in the sock & I think I'll give it longer before I see if that helped, I just checked on it & it's sleeping with the sock still in place. How long did you leave the legs taped? Thanks!

That's what I was thinking...& hoping not. At first I thought it was just trying to catch its balance where it just hatched but it's been doing it for an hour now. I tried to stop it everytime, at first the legs looked fine but after a while it was clear they were getting more & more stretched forward & out. Other than that it seems healthy & is whistling up a storm mad it's taped/wrapped up into the sock but I was afraid if left alone the legs could be severely out of place or permanently damaged by in the morning so that's all I could think of to do until told otherwise :(

That is a normal looking day old chick Emu not a chicken it will take them a few days to get their balance and stand then run . The have a natural wide stance. Which they need to hold all that belly yolk. If it has splay leg one will be turned out 90 deg. Quit binding it and let itsort out its balance. Everyone jumps to splay right off and hurt their birds. I am not meaning any attack on you or anyone personaly. If it shows splay it won't bet until after its up and walking.

I tape my lil guys wit in 1 hour of hatch...how is he now?

That's what I was thinking...& hoping not. At first I thought it was just trying to catch its balance where it just hatched but it's been doing it for an hour now. I tried to stop it everytime, at first the legs looked fine but after a while it was clear they were getting more & more stretched forward & out. Other than that it seems healthy & is whistling up a storm mad it's taped/wrapped up into the sock but I was afraid if left alone the legs could be severely out of place or permanently damaged by in the morning so that's all I could think of to do until told otherwise
sad.png

Doing what I did definitely helped, he sits up fine now & hasnt done that since. If he was just wobbling like in the video I wouldve let him learn it's balance but it's legs were for sure getting more & more out of position over time. It's not walking yet of course but I think it wouldn't be anyway.

Doing what I did definitely helped, he sits up fine now & hasnt done that since. If he was just wobbling like in the video I wouldve let him learn it's balance but it's legs were for sure getting more & more out of position over time. It's not walking yet of course but I think it wouldn't be anyway.

All 22 I hatched last year were like that 2 were splay . It is a missing or degraded hip joint that causes it. A wide stance is normal . The deformity is only treatable in some cases by surgery. You will only harm you bird by squeezing its legs together. They wobble and stumble for 3 to 5 days. Than run and crash into everything. Again legs forward and wide is normal . Turned at the hip is not. Look at my photos on here and see the one I posted with a splay. These birds have been getting along without human intervention for 80 million years all they need from us is food , water and love.

I worry to much with them anyway lol. I didn't know it was caused at the hips like you said, I'm going to check out your pics & research it more. I was just afraid it was going to do what some quails I hatched did, they got under chicken eggs in the bator & got their legs mal positioned then ended up dying from it. Their legs were stuck almost straight out behind them, they'd lay on their bellies & just kick so I was afraid that's what was going on with this emu chick...another thing that made me worry was that my first hatched chick didn't do anything like that. It flopped around all clumsy then like you said ran into things for almost 2 days until it got walking down. Thanks for the post, I'm going to look into it more :)

Awe Gucci, what a cute name! I was thinking of naming my chicks by their egg "letter" also & so far I have C aka Cash & B aka Bow (it has a bowtie on his right cheek!).

Back
Top Bottom