Anyone up for a Hatchalong?

9Catsz- What kind of incubator did you use? From what I have read here, I am thinking of lack of right nutrition of the parent birds, since it may not have been your incubator since you have hatched other types of poultry in that thing.
That's interesting about nutrition in the parent birds. Ive never seen her birds, but I know she doesn't feed the regular ratite diet, because she said she can't get it. I don't know what she does feed them. One other weird thing is this: She's had these birds for 5 years and her male has never made a nest or even showed interest in sitting the eggs. The female just lays the eggs anywhere.

The incubator is one I made using a commercial fish shipping box and hovabator guts. It held the 18 eggs with room for around 8 more. Ive also hatched ball python, California king, prairie king and graybanded kingsnake eggs in it too.

Last edited:
Yes, I did hatched that wannabe, it was a pullet and beautiful, but I had to put it and all of my other chicks down due to a disease called Mycoplasma gallisepticum. :hit But I found a way to prevent the disease from infecting the chicks! :woot

On egg E, I made a small hole to see if the chick is alive for I have not seen it wiggling for a week, and it was a week over due to hatch. Nothing, made the hole bigger, can see the chick, it was dead. :hit It had not pipped into the air cell yet, and the yolk was not absorbed. It was beautiful and huge! I buried it next to the apple tree that I had planted a few months ago by the chicken coop. I have 2 live wigglers right now, and they are due to hatch next week. :fl One of the three eggs is iffy. It had ''wept'' the first day I set it in the bator, but I did not smell anything on it yet, will give it a chance until it passes the due date.

I have a question. My little one only eats the mixed veggies no salt added but will not eat the medicated chick crumbles. He pecks at it then splits it out LOL. It will not eat the lettuce leaves either just the mixed canned veggies. He eats the peas, corn and potatoes, he will eat the carrots last. I get the DNA report monday afternoon so then he will be named. So far he is doing good growing but since he hatched I think he got scraped by the shell on his eye cause it gets crusty. I take some warm wet tissues and hold it against the eye and the crusty comes off. The eye looks fine but gets that every couple days. Tried washing the eye with eye wash but it still came back.

try giving him some chopped kale.. they seem to prefer it over everything else.. you can also mix the layer crumbles into the food he will eat..

I've never given mine canned vegetables..
for veggies: just chopped collard greens mixed with chopped kale and spinach (all raw and fresh)
I do grate up some raw carrots and finely chop some apples and mix it into the greens every so often

My 2 good eggs are still wiggling, my sister-in-law and I heard one cheep and tap the shell! :ya They are due this week! :celebrate

How close are the eggs when they cheep and tap the shell?

I think I know how my first chick died before pipping. The GQF sportsman cabinet incubator was right up to the wall, covering the rear vent, thus preventing the proper flow of air in the incubator, even though the side vent is not covered. I kick myself for that. I moved the table and the incubator away from the wall a good 6 inches right away.

My 2 good eggs are still wiggling, my sister-in-law and I heard one cheep and tap the shell!
ya.gif
They are due this week!
celebrate.gif

How close are the eggs when they cheep and tap the shell?
I think I know how my first chick died before pipping. The GQF sportsman cabinet incubator was right up to the wall, covering the rear vent, thus preventing the proper flow of air in the incubator, even though the side vent is not covered. I kick myself for that. I moved the table and the incubator away from the wall a good 6 inches right away.

it depend son the chick.. I have had some that never peeped.. others that peeped for 5 days before hatching.. usually it's within a day or two.. but it really depends on the individual chick

Help! my wiggler egg havent hatch, should I oppened or not, he was due on monday but still wiggling no peeps, sportsman incubator 99.5 temp dry unit. I assisted and egg but died and do not want to loose this one too!

Yoda...DO NOT give medicated crumble feed to Emu's...no matter what...Medicated for EMu's is a no no........instead get a bottle of liquid baby vitamins, like poly vi sol or tri vi sol and add a dropper full to the Emu's water supply...the vitamins have EVERYTHING that the baby emu needs to be healthy that your food may be missing. It also helps cut down on splay leg, and other ailments early on as well.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom