Anyone use a decoy owl for Racoons and hawks?

I agree ronp it's easier to just adjust a couple things to keep them out add some electric fence and move on.

Looks like we just got lucky with our Owl decoy after reading the other posts. Ours is on a 20' piece of bamboo and placed in a tree that is just shorter than the bamboo. It took care of the hawk problem. However when we saw the hawk we have kept the new chicks in the run all the time and let out the 3 older larger chicks out only when we are out there to keep an eye on them. It has been around 6 weeks and no signs of the hawk. Where we live Walmart sells the decoys for a fraction the feed stores or sporting good stores sells them for. Maybe because we bought the more expensive one it works better......I really doubt it
lau.gif
. We saw them at Walmart after we bought it.

Personally, I wouldn't count on it unless you are prepared and willing to accept losses.

A solid structure (fencing and hardware cloth), between my flock and their enemies 24/7, lets me sleep at night.

i use shiny lightweight stuff that twists and sways in the wind to attract bobcats and coons to my trap sets. i use cd's, Christmas tinsel, fountain drink lids, anything that glares,sparkles or shines and anything that makes lots of movement. cats are sight hunters and coon are curious of everything so that would not be a good thing. once they get close enough to the "flagging" object, the lure and bait seals the deal.. in your case your chickens would be the bait. i spray paint my cage traps and dog proof traps so they dont rust away, and blends them in better.. lay a bunch of dry grass over the cages to make them look more natural.. i use eggs as bait! marshmallows work great also. both are bright in the dark and very appealing to most critters. i leave these traps set year round on the corners of my run.this really helps. animals will always take a free meal, and most will take the marshmallows or eggs and enter the cage rather than climb into chicken run and look for a way into the coop. their intelligent. they analyze and process everything. they make decisions, and think about their next move very carefully.. the egg laying in that cage thats blended in looks easier and not as risky.

Back
Top Bottom