Anyone Use a greenhouse frame and covered it with chicken wire?

DENALI

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
I am trying to come up with a way to make a 20 foot wide arch/hoop and cover it with a wire of some sort to keep the chickens in and the hawks/predators out.
Any information or pictures would be appreciated greatly. Thanks

The double cattle panel run that we built for our playhouse coop is 18 feet wide. We could have made it wider but we ran out of flat land as our yard is mostly hillside.

Skip would never let me use a greenhouse frame for the birds...he'd have it covered with gh grade plastic so we could keep our orchids in it.
gig.gif

Hope this helps.

Dawn

I'm doing this for my chicken run, with this 20' x 24' cold frame arriving next week.

The current plan is to use 1" PVC-coated hardware cloth to a height of 6' up each side, and then 1" aviary netting over the top. We're also running electric wire at 9", 18" & 30" up just to deter any would-be climbers.

I will post pics as the building process commences!

Yes i have seen yours before. I am trying to come up with something that will allow complete free span without having to do any upright supports in the middle. Without the uprights in yours did it have any chance of holding shape?

Quote:

denali,

we used the 2x4 posts in the center because we butted the pannels and wired them together. if we had overlapped the pannels by a foot or 2 and then wired them together we probably wouldn't have needed the 2x4 supports. we may not have needed the support posts to begin with, but i tend to overbuild projects. we ended up running roost boards between the support posts.

cheers,

doc

Denali,

The main reason we joined the panels the way we did is because we needed the run to be portable, as we are moving to Arkansas in a year or so. The double panels are able to be folded flat so that they'll be able to travel on a 14' or longer flatbed trailer. And as Skip said, he tends to over-build everything, which is a good thing!
wink.png

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom