Anyone use eggies?

maclady

Songster
8 Years
Jan 28, 2011
Lost in Space
Ok saw a tv infomercial today for eggies. Do these things really work the way they claim? I have not been able to peel any of my eggs without shredding them to pieces so far and deviled eggs are a huge hit around here. Any one use the eggies?

No, I never have, but here's a trick to getting fresh eggs to peel: put 1/4 to 1/3 CUP of salt in the boiling water, then when they're done cooking in the boiling water, plunge them in an ice water bath until cool. They'll peel like a dream and no, they won't be salty.
smile.png

There was a thread about these a while back in the recipe section of byc. If I remember right more people in the thread were saying it was a waste of money then worth it. They have them at my local Walmart now for $9.97 a pack.

I always use my 4 to 5 day old eggs for boiling. They peel much easier, and if I'm deviling them anyway we can't taste the difference from the fresh eggs like we do in fried eggs. So I just automatically cycle the eggs on day 4 to the "boil basket," then any that don't get eaten over the next couple of days go to the critters.

A friend gave me some Aurecanas and said the blue eggs peel better. And she was correct! So my brown eggs get fried, but the blue eggs are always the ones I use for deviled eggs or any other boiled egg dish.

Quote:
You only keep your eggs for a week? I keep mine for at least a month before I would consider feeding them to the dogs. I do agree though that the older the eggs the better they peel!!

Add salt to boiling water then drop cooked eggs into ice water and yesturdays eggs will peel just fine.

I did read the other thread here on BYC about eggies and bought some anyways.
tongue.png
I thought they sounded fun. My observations: They do work. I was able to play a little and have boiled eggies that were made by combining 2 or 3 bantam eggs. I also have two giant jars of pickled eggs completed with very little hassle. Are they worth the money? No, at $10 they are not a bargain. Will I be able to keep all the parts together? Well, I stored everything in a mesh bag, so I hope so.
smile.png

i heard they a crappies. They are 4 different pieces that have to be put together, all have to be sprayed with cooking spray or they will stick and they also leak . So no eggies for me, i prefer eggs. Plus you can only make one deviled egg instead of two.

Back
Top Bottom