Anyone use essential oil on their flock???

Baumshell28

Songster
Apr 16, 2020
Gonzales (Baton Rouge), Louisiana
So I thought some of my hens were being bullied when I saw scabs on their combs & wattles. I chocked it up to the raging hormones of all 12 hens being 17 weeks old and getting to POL. But when I went out this afternoon to bring treats & have our Quality Time, I realized I was wrong. Just since yesterday about 3 more have the spots. They are wider spread...on wattles & earlobes now instead of just combs and I can see the whitish-yellowish outline around the dark spots; clearly indicating Fowl Pox. Hopes and prayers going up that they’ll let me get their mouths open enough to check the mucous membrane areas for wet pox.
The avian vet said no use separating them now and to let everything “run its course”. Here’s my question: Has anyone used essential oils on their flock for sores, irritations or cuts/scrapes? I prefer trying natural remedies before production chemicals when possible. Things like lavender, chamomile, tea tree, rosemary, etc have excellent antiseptic, antimocrobial, antibiotic properties. I was thinking maybe trying a salve of lavender & chamomile with coconut oil to soothe & maybe help disinfect these viral sores. I’d rather try to stay away from the stronger oils such as tea tree or rosemary since it’ll probably get close to their eyes & id rather help & soothe instead of adding more hurt or irritation.
Has anyone used a natural remedy like this? Has it seemed to do any good?
P.S.: I will be mostly “dabbing” since the scabs carry the virus and knocking them off would cause wider/faster viral spreading.
Thanks In Advance!! MUAH!

Honestly, unless they are close to the eye, I just leave them alone for the most part. If there is one near the eye, I keep an eye on it and if it does look like a secondary infection is happening in the eye (this does not always happen) they I use terramycin eye ointment in the eye (most Tractor Supply stores carry it). The dry form usually runs it's course with no real problems, unless a bird is weakened by something else. If you have a really nasty lesion that you feel you must do something about, then I would just dab a bit of betadine on that one. Many of the essential oils can be irritating at full strength, so I would dilute by 50% (mix 1:1) with a carrier oil (like coconut oil) if you do choose to use one, and definitely avoid the eye area.

Do the dry pox CAUSE the wet form of the pox? Y’all have definitely eased my mind about the dry pox, but now I’m concerned about it moving to the mucous membranes and causing the wet form. I’m thinking about getting a bottle of the Vetericyn that was also recommended and spraying/“treating” them once or twice a day with that.
How is the wet pox contracted? Is it the dry pox getting in the mouth/nose/eye & then causing those lesions? Or is it a different “strain” or mutation of fowl pox?

I think it's just a strain, or may hit birds with a weaker immune system. It is much less common than the dry form. I've had dry pox several times, never had the wet type. Yet.
The birds that have it will be resistant to that strain when they recover, so shouldn't get it again.

Back
Top Bottom