Eye Trouble-Separation Issues

MaryKK

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2023
Hi y'all- One of my Eggers has had a closed eye for over 3 days now- It has no outward appearance of injury or inflammation-I figured t ws dust or dirt, etc- I have flushed it W/purified waterer day and used MycrosinAH eye gel once, (which seemed to really irritate her, as she started scratching her eye that morning, so I rinsed that out) She WILL open it, but if anyone gets too close or I try to look at it, she closes it up tight.
This morning she is depressed, and down. I rinsed her eye again, & I tried to bring her in and set up in a crate in the room where they were when they were babies, but she became inconsolable! She was panicking, so I took her back out, and now she is hunkered down. She did drink- I added electrolytes to their water. Then I had to rush off to open my business, and I'll be gone for 4 hours. I have laid a cotton pad with a solution of lavender flower, chamomile flower tea that I use on my dogs eyes, and she seemed to not mind that-But it was just outside on the closed eye to sooth her.
How do I get her to allow separation? It surprised me because this particular bird is VERY attached to both me and my dog- She loves to visit the house, and sit on my lap. etc. But she ws extremely agitated at being confined in the crate.
And another newby question- Where do I get Terramycin from? DO I have to go thru a vet? Would a local feed store have it or just order from Amazon? Cuz, thats at least 2 more days of distress if it would help her.

I'm not 100% but I thought that terramycin was sold at feed stores. You can also try just doing warm salt water soaks if it is just injured.

Does she have calm friend that could potentially be in the crate with her? Or maybe let her run with the flock, and then treat her at night when she is on the roost? It doesn't sound contagious.

Do you think you could get a picture of the eye so folks on here could try to confirm that it is just an injury, not an ailment?

You can also try just doing warm salt water soaks if it is just injured.

Does she have calm friend that could potentially be in the crate with her? Or maybe let her run with the flock, and then treat her at night when she is on the roost? It doesn't sound contagious.
The warm salt water soaks (or saline) are what I would use. It might relax the eye.
I also think you should put a chicken that she really likes in the crate with her when you are able to be at home and sit with her and her friend, but when you aren't home, just leave her in the run. @Saveria essentially got it.

I'm not 100% but I thought that terramycin was sold at feed stores. You can also try just doing warm salt water soaks if it is just injured.

Do you think you could get a picture of the eye so folks on here could try to confirm that it is just an injury, not an ailment?
The warm salt water soaks (or saline) are what I would use. It might relax the eye.
I also think you should put a chicken that she really likes in the crate with her when you are able to be at home and sit with her and her friend, but when you aren't home, just leave her in the run. @Saveria essentially got it.
Excellent- I will put her bestie in with her and see how that works!! And try the Salt water Would that be table salt? Or should I use Epsom Salts? OR I have some saline solution for me- is that safe?
And I will get as good a shot as I can this afternoon of my pirate. I told her I was gonna get an eye patch for her if she didn't open up!! arrggh
Thanks y'all!

Excellent- I will put her bestie in with her and see how that works!! And try the Salt water Would that be table salt? Or should I use Epsom Salts? OR I have some saline solution for me- is that safe?
And I will get as good a shot as I can this afternoon of my pirate. I told her I was gonna get an eye patch for her if she didn't open up!! arrggh
Thanks y'all!
I think any salt is fine. I have done sea salt myself. Never done epsom, but I don't see why that wouldn't work. I think you want it a little saltier than saline solution, but I am not super familiar with the usual concentration in saline solution. You can use that in a pinch, like if you need to run off to work or something.

You also want it to be hot water if you can. Soak a cotton ball, then put it on her eye until it gets cold, or she won't let you anymore. You can try it on your eye, the salt shouldn't sting you badly. That will help bring down the inflammation and allow the tissue to relax. Do it as often as you can. Throw away the cotton balls just in case it is contagious.

I think putting in a friend is worth the risk just with how much she is emotionally suffering. I can't think of a contagious disease where a swollen eye is the only symptom, it is always something else, too, but definitely put up a picture when you can.

I think any salt is fine. I have done sea salt myself. Never done epsom, but I don't see why that wouldn't work. I think you want it a little saltier than saline solution, but I am not super familiar with the usual concentration in saline solution. You can use that in a pinch, like if you need to run off to work or something.

You also want it to be hot water if you can. Soak a cotton ball, then put it on her eye until it gets cold, or she won't let you anymore. You can try it on your eye, the salt shouldn't sting you badly. That will help bring down the inflammation and allow the tissue to relax. Do it as often as you can. Throw away the cotton balls just in case it is contagious.

I think putting in a friend is worth the risk just with how much she is emotionally suffering. I can't think of a contagious disease where a swollen eye is the only symptom, it is always something else, too, but definitely put up a picture when you can.
Got it! I ended up being later of course- the girls seem to nbe hovering around her and Marge won't leave her side. Such a dedicated sisterhood! When I go for the compress I will take some shots of her eye. Thank you so much for bearing with my lack of knowledge. You'd never know I used to work in a vets office- but maybe that's why I want exact answers, cuz I know what can happen!!❤️

Got it! I ended up being later of course- the girls seem to nbe hovering around her and Marge won't leave her side. Such a dedicated sisterhood! When I go for the compress I will take some shots of her eye. Thank you so much for bearing with my lack of knowledge. You'd never know I used to work in a vets office- but maybe that's why I want exact answers, cuz I know what can happen!!❤️
It is so funny, a lot of vets don't know how to treat chickens at all, so that can't be your fault. 😄

Hi, Everyone! UPDATE on Bunny's eye-
It is open now- for just the past two days. It has taken a lot of soaking, lots of naps on my lap inside, Treats of Yogurt mixed with honey, pumpkins, and sitting outside with the girls watching to make sure she wasn't bullied- I do think she took one on the eye, and maybe hung onto the drama cuz it broke her heart- Marge has been a little testy lately, and they were friends, but now do not hang at all.... Bunny goes to bed earlier than the rest of the girls now, and it makes me sad, but I guess they will work it out. I am giving them ALL attention and keeping them busy with me moving my veggie garden to make room for a Run extension. The weather has been wet and cool for over a week, they don't love that. LOTS of thunder and lightning at night, and I wonder if that interferes with rest- ?
I never got a snapshot of her eye, I was a one trick pony caring for her & concentrating my attention on just that. But I think the worst is past.
During this time I also had to help Dolly pass a soft ruptured egg that wasn't easy for her- but that turned out too. And I gave her my first chicken bath! LOL- Now she is laying like a pro again and I have more eggs than I know what to do with!
Alls well that ends well after being thrown into the deep end of the chicken emergency pool!
Thanks for all the help with ideas & sound advice!!

Hi, Everyone! UPDATE on Bunny's eye-
It is open now- for just the past two days. It has taken a lot of soaking, lots of naps on my lap inside, Treats of Yogurt mixed with honey, pumpkins, and sitting outside with the girls watching to make sure she wasn't bullied- I do think she took one on the eye, and maybe hung onto the drama cuz it broke her heart- Marge has been a little testy lately, and they were friends, but now do not hang at all.... Bunny goes to bed earlier than the rest of the girls now, and it makes me sad, but I guess they will work it out. I am giving them ALL attention and keeping them busy with me moving my veggie garden to make room for a Run extension. The weather has been wet and cool for over a week, they don't love that. LOTS of thunder and lightning at night, and I wonder if that interferes with rest- ?
I never got a snapshot of her eye, I was a one trick pony caring for her & concentrating my attention on just that. But I think the worst is past.
During this time I also had to help Dolly pass a soft ruptured egg that wasn't easy for her- but that turned out too. And I gave her my first chicken bath! LOL- Now she is laying like a pro again and I have more eggs than I know what to do with!
Alls well that ends well after being thrown into the deep end of the chicken emergency pool!
Thanks for all the help with ideas & sound advice!!
I'm glad it got better!

Back
Top Bottom