Anyone use ice packs when shipping eggs?

Enjaytoo

Songster
10 Years
Sep 8, 2009
Tempe
Just curious if any folks in the South or Southwest use ice packs in their egg shipments? Its getting close to triple digits here in the SW, and need to ship some eggs up north. I have the small standard gel ice packs but wasn't sure how to pack if I use them...Thanks for any input!

I certainly wouldn't use them frozen, but you could put them in refrigerated (the ice packs, not the eggs). They're actually likely to not be in the heat too long. If you send them priority mail, they usually get on a plane the same day and would be out of the heat. You might talk to your post office and find out what time of day gets them out the fastest. But remember, they're air conditioned at the hubs, and as soon as they take off they're at risk of getting too cold. So there is very little time that they'd be warm.

Just curious if any folks in the South or Southwest use ice packs in their egg shipments? Its getting close to triple digits here in the SW, and need to ship some eggs up north. I have the small standard gel ice packs but wasn't sure how to pack if I use them...Thanks for any input!
I do. Depending on how far the eggs are going. If they'll be there in 2 days, he'll packs removed from the freezer will keep the eggs viable in the back of the tractor trailer. I wrap in pool noodle, tightly closing the seam. The ends are open so the eggs can "breathe". I put wadded newspaper level across the bottom. Then foam peanuts. You could use one large frozen pack under the newspaper. Or multiple gel packs.
I put the eggs in pool noodle on top of the afore mentioned set up. Cover to the top with peanuts. Leave a little jiggle room. A box packed tightly when dropped ALL gets a huge shock. If not packed completely to the gills, the shock will be distributed... which protects more air cells. I have never had a broken egg, knock wood. My eggs hatch when incubated by the client. And, out of 18 eggs, the most damaged air cells I've had reported is "2". I specifically ask for such feedback. And I ask for candling ahead of incubation. And "resting" for 24 hours, points down. This will allow some air cells not so terribly damaged to reform. Turn off the turner at 15 to 16 days to help cement the air cells that might be damaged, and incubate standing up and not in the side, any damaged air cells. Without that first air a chick is not viable, and the cell must be stable.

You can test the temp if your closed, not taped, box by putting a thermometer inside. Experiment with the size box and packing material amounts. 45 to 70° will get your eggs there just fine. You don't want it refrigerator cold. I like to see about 50 if it's going to be 95 or 100°F kind of weather. The box will warm up in transit.

I do. Depending on how far the eggs are going. If they'll be there in 2 days, gel packs removed from the freezer will keep the eggs viable in the back of the tractor trailer. I wrap in pool noodle, tightly closing the seam. The ends are open so the eggs can "breathe". I put wadded newspaper level across the bottom. Then foam peanuts. You could use one large frozen pack under the newspaper. Or multiple gel packs.
I put the eggs in pool noodle on top of the afore mentioned set up. Cover to the top with peanuts. Leave a little jiggle room. A box packed tightly when dropped ALL gets a huge shock. If not packed completely to the gills, the shock will be distributed... which protects more air cells. I have never had a broken egg, knock wood. My eggs hatch when incubated by the client. And, out of 18 eggs, the most damaged air cells I've had reported is "2". I specifically ask for such feedback. And I ask for candling ahead of incubation. And "resting" for 24 hours, points down. This will allow some air cells not so terribly damaged to reform. Turn off the turner at 15 to 16 days to help cement the air cells that might be damaged, and incubate standing up and not on the side, any damaged air cells. Without that first air a chick is not viable, and the cell must be stable.

You can test the temp if your closed, not taped, box by putting a thermometer inside. Experiment with the size box and packing material amounts. 45 to 70° will get your eggs there just fine. You don't want it refrigerator cold. I like to see about 50 if it's going to be 95 or 100°F kind of weather. The box will warm up in transit.

Back
Top Bottom