1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone use "Night Guard"

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by henryetta, Sep 10, 2009.

1. henryetta

henryetta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    san diego, cali
    Has anyone ever heard of or used this against nocturnal feral animals?? It is for sale in my "EggCartons.com" mag and sure would be a fairly cheep addtion to some other methods of keeping those nasty chicken hungry pests away. Just really hoping someone has something good to say about it. Thanks:)

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Lots on here have commented about this. A few felt it was effective, but most did not. At the least, it has to be moved around often, I gather.

3. henryetta

May 21, 2009
    san diego, cali
    geesh:rolleyes: I didnt even think (not unusual for me) to do a 'search' on it before asking. Thanks for the reminder [​IMG]

4. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    After working in state parks for several years,we came up with a solution to keep bears & other predators out of the dumpsters,which is a smorgasbord of food. Simply spray with bleach. The bleach moleculed actually stick in your lungs.(Any body that smokes,can attest to bleach lung) Animals hate the smell. Works on Bear,cats,& coon.

5. skywatcher

skywatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Arlington,Indiana
    I use nite guards they seem to be effective haven't lost a chicken in 4 months that is a record. Did have a fox show up in the afternoon hours my shotgun ended that chicken eater days.

6. henryetta

May 21, 2009
    san diego, cali
    Thanks all:) and a question on the bleach..... sooo, how would i do that so the chickens dont have to live in a bleach smelling place. Oh, like mabie i could spray the parimiters of my yard not their particular area? That would be quite an area though, or could i put sticks around that i could spray with bleach instead of dousing the coop itself? Thanks for any info...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by