anyone use reptile heaters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by maco5, Dec 14, 2008.

1. maco5

maco5 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    San Jose, CA
    I am super afraid of having a heat lamp in the coop in case it somehow starts a fire.
    So I have seen the ceramic reptile heaters that put out heat but no light.

Has anyone used these in their coops?

2. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

I have wondered the same thing. I have lots of reptile rocks and mats.

Anyone know why we should not use them?

3. I am trying to use these as the one and only heat source. Problem is, i have not come across one that is above 100 watts. I use them in the house with the baby chicks becuase they actually sleep at night this way. They are pretty expensive too. I have a total of two of them and the one has lasted for YEARS.
    I am so paranoid that the light bulbs will blow on a cold night. I do not heat the house above 70 degrees and the heat source has to be reliable.
    I do find them a safe and reliable method of taking care of my babies. I only have 4 chicks left in the house now. They are with the parrots in the bird room. The rest are out in the nursery and I have the white heat lamps on them. I am afraid of the infrared heat lamps, i have been told by quite a few people that these are bad for the developing eyes on chickens less than 8 weeks old.

4. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

I have 2 ceramic heat emitter bulbs that are used for reptiles - one is 100 watts and one is 250 watts; both are in appropriate brooder lamps that correspond with the proper wattage rating for each emitter and are made specifically for these with high heat porcelain sockets. Right now I have both of them hooked up and it raises the temp in my coop about 10 degrees (with a brooder guard on both of them to prevent burns) - I want it above freezing in my coop for my girls. I do have it on a therm. timer to come on at 35 and off at 45, else the girls get too hot. They hang at each corner *up high* in my coop and I have LOTS of ventilation and keep my pop door open so they can go in and out at all times.

I got mine online, which were MUCH cheaper than getting them in any store. Look around and you will find them - I believe I paid $16.00 for the 100 watt and $22.00 for the 250 watt (both are ZooMed) and right now at www.petmountain.com they are $16.95 (100 w) and $21.95 (250 w) with 10% off (use code HOLIDAY).

That site is the cheapest, even with shipping - out there online. I searched for hours and hours and couldn't find a better deal.

5. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    Yep, I have a ceramic heat emitter in my coop too.
    Got it on Ebay for about 1/2 the price in a pet store. i have it in a cone reflector which helps keep it protected and also helps give a little larger heated area. So far I really like it.

6. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I've also used these and love them. I have a 100 and 250 watt, and also got them online for much cheaper than in the stores. They were great for my babies. I don't heat my coop now, though.

7. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I have one in my coop. The thing is they are not any less likely to start a fire the a light, IMO they get hot and could star a fire if not properly secured.

I have a 150 in my coop, I need to get another one though as I think this one is dying (but they are $$$)

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Do not ever use heat rocks. not for reptiles or poultry. THey are unsafe and can and will overheat and cause burns. I have heat cables, UT-heaters and flexwatt heat tape . I am thinking of using the heatcable in the coop that i will build (soon) a heat regulator is the key in using reptile heating devices. It can be as simple as a dimmer or as expensive as a 150 pro reptile heater.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by