Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Does anyone add DE or oyster shell powder (we use this in our shavings) to thier sand to help dry the poops/smell? I'm now convinced a change to sand for the rainy winter would be a good way to go.

I put sand in a month or so ago, and I love it! If it gets wet, it dries pretty fast. I add DE or stall dry to it from time to time. It keeps the smell and flies down. I have 5 girls and can walk through the run with a cat litter scoop and scoop the poop, sift the sand out and, put in bucket and toss in compost. Viola! A fairly clean run.
clap.gif

We sprinkle some DE onto the sand during the summer months when we know it will be dry for a few days. Helps keep down flies and we've never had flea issues.
We also add DE to the shavings in the nest boxes.

We use play sand in the runs and love it. Dries out quickly, wicks water away from feces and dries it out faster, too. Never noticed it being much hotter than anything else in the summer. But our runs are in an area shaded by trees in the hottest part of the day.

The peeps seem to love dust baths, but they hate walking on the sand when it's clean and white
roll.png

Doesn't take them long to get it to be NOT clean & white!

Last edited:
We use sand in all coops and runs and even the sheep stalls. We had a wet sloppy, stinky mess and since there is a creek on our property we went down and got a Gator load of it. It worked SO well that we have 6 inches in every coop and run we have. We went Monday and got 6 Gator loads of sand for all the new dog pen coops we made over the weekend. When we get the runs attached they too will have a generous layer of sand in them. I have found with sand there is no need to scoop the poop because reall sand will pull the moisture out of the poop and it will disinigrate fast. Now if you get dirt and not sand, you will have a muddy stinky mess. REAL sand is a true lifesaver in the winter time when its wet because the sand allows the rain to drain off.

I agree with everyone about sand. I LOVE HAVING SAND! its in my run and a couple inches in the coop. I hate shavings. messy and take for ever to degrade. if and when I need to scoop out the sand I will spread it evenly over my grass and I bet I will have the most beautiful grass!! I did remove the dirt/sand mix in my old run and made a raised garden bed with it. WOW!!! It was bigger, better, faster, stronger than any bed I had. vegetables jumped out of the bed!! I can't say enough good things.

Connie

Our run...about 20 x 20, is basically dirt/grass. I have one corner about 4 ft sq that I added sand to for their bathing pleasure. They're not crazy about it. Seem happiest scratching the soil and looking for bugs to eat. I never see them dusting in the sand...just the dirt.
Liz
Rochester, MA

Quote:
Chickens eat sand to help them digest their food. Sand or grit is a must for chickens.
I live in Florida so I don't worry about a sand run. It's all sand down here.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I didn't intentionally put sand in my run, it was there from the previous owner growing strawberries. But it was next to the shed we turned into a coop. The chickens love it. Have you ever tried to dig a ditch in a coop. The chickens swarm the open holes being dug. I plan on doing it next summer in the run for a special treat. I also ask nephews to dig worms for treats for the chicks. Anyways, off the topic of sand. They love it!!!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom