Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
Thanks... I was wondering if the coarser sand (with the bigger bits of clams shells) might be too "pokey and stabby."
smile.png
Since I'll be sifting all the sand anyways, I'll just make sure to use a finer mesh. The wonderful thing(besides the eggs I hope to get) is that the sand and poop when combined with kelp, my kitchen compost, and coffee grounds from a friends coffeehouse will make excellent new soil for my garden!

I use the sand all over outside run and inside the coop I have a type of pellet that is compressed pine sawdust...when it gets wet the pellet disintegrates to soak up moisture.(usually used in horse stalls n so forth) so far it has really made amazing compost...that with the girls manure makes for a perfect blance of greens n browns.because of my chickens I really got into composting too! I have a big pile out back of chicken waste and coop litter mixed w cardboard n such.

I also have an indoor worm farm composter that I put kitchen scraps and waste chicken feed (they are messy about their feed) the worms eat that..I get worm castings and worms fattened up on the chickens feed and what ever kitchen scraps the chickens don't eat go there..so I now have an endless supply of amazing compost and fat worms for feeding the girls in the winter when pickings are slim. My girls have cut down the bug n slug population big time and also weeds.they love picking all weed seeds..chickens are amazing help with gardening as long as you don't let em near plants you don't want eaten!; )

I have found a lot of great info about the benefits of using sand, and see that the washed, construction grade sand is the way to go for run flooring. I plan to use that in my run floor, and then a softer mix under the roost area, and pine shavings for the nesting area. (first time chick Mom, of 9 day old chicks).

Does anyone know if its ok to mix food grade diatomaceous earth in with the sand? I feel like this would take care of any issues with unwanted pests making a home out of the sand. I live in the South so I do worry about sand fleas and fire ants. I plan to use food grade diatomaceous earth all around the yard this year to help with the unwanted pests.

Thanks for all the great advice on BYC... I turn to this site daily to help me figure things out!

I see a lot of people saying they use DE in the coop. I know with people that if you inhale dry DE you can really mess up your lungs. The powder cuts up your lungs inside. Can this happen to chickens too?

I see a lot of people saying they use DE in the coop. I know with people that if you inhale dry DE you can really mess up your lungs. The powder cuts up your lungs inside. Can this happen to chickens too?
I was told it could cause respiratory problems so to be cautious when you are putting it down. I always wear a good mask and I always make sure my ladies are at the other end of the run while I'm spreading it. You have to watch the way the wind is blowing also...don't let it blow back in your face. When I put mine in the run/etc. I get it down close to the ground (instead of just throwing it around)...I also put it in the crooks and crevices of the nesting boxes where they sit and get warm...perfect place for little "buggies" to live and get on them...

I have found a lot of great info about the benefits of using sand, and see that the washed, construction grade sand is the way to go for run flooring. I plan to use that in my run floor, and then a softer mix under the roost area, and pine shavings for the nesting area. (first time chick Mom, of 9 day old chicks).

Does anyone know if its ok to mix food grade diatomaceous earth in with the sand? I feel like this would take care of any issues with unwanted pests making a home out of the sand. I live in the South so I do worry about sand fleas and fire ants. I plan to use food grade diatomaceous earth all around the yard this year to help with the unwanted pests.

Thanks for all the great advice on BYC... I turn to this site daily to help me figure things out!
I do use DE in my sand and I also put it under the roost on my poop board... oh yea, I have a dust bath of ashes but I use it in there also. A while back I saw that I needed to use maybe a salt shaker or jar with holes poked in the top (I use a mason jar) to sprinkle it into the sides/corners or their nesting boxes.. LOL.. Guess you could say..."YES" I use it every where my ladies might be.

Thanks... I was wondering if the coarser sand (with the bigger bits of clams shells) might be too "pokey and stabby."
smile.png
Since I'll be sifting all the sand anyways, I'll just make sure to use a finer mesh. The wonderful thing(besides the eggs I hope to get) is that the sand and poop when combined with kelp, my kitchen compost, and coffee grounds from a friends coffeehouse will make excellent new soil for my garden!

As long as you are going to be sifting it with a fine mesh I wouldn't think it would hurt,,,,hope some others on here sound off. My first thought was the possibility of "bumble foot", but if there's not sharpies in it, I think it would be fine. Let's see what others say about it.

I just got my coop up and running with 27 laying hens and I used sand in my coop and LOVE it! Having used shavings before...the sand is a breeze. We lined out coop floor with a pond liner and added about 2-3 inches of sand. We also made a removable roost with a removeable drop pan to make clean up easy. It's so easy to clean... I use a kitty litter poop scooper and/or a rake to gather the poo in the sand. The sand sifts out and the poo goes into a bucket that I take to my compost pile. I then scrape my poo board and put it in my flat sided bucket as well and I'm done! I found the idea on a blog and it's been the best thing I've done since I started having chickens.
Where do you get pond liner?

Back
Top Bottom