Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
New chicken momma!!!! I have one rooster and one hen, both are rhode island reds. Are you still using sand and if so how are you liking it? Also, what type of sand do you use?

New chicken momma!!!! I have one rooster and one hen, both are rhode island reds. Are you still using sand and if so how are you liking it? Also, what type of sand do you use?
I am, it's raining hard today. Mine is in a covered run.
Best to use 'construction' or 'masonry' sand, because it is composed of different sized pieces and won't pack down like playsand would.

So far I love it!

Awesome, Thank you!

I have called around and was told that they have "mason sand" and "concrete sand". She said the mason sand is finer and the concrete sand is grittier and has pieces mixed in with the sand. I don't know which one would be better to use. To me the concrete sand sounds better because its not as fine but it is also used to make concrete I believe so I don't know if there are particles that could harm the chickens.

Ahh I'm so confused, so many different options!! LOL

I've also read blogs where people said not to use sand as it can cause problems with bacteria and the chickens can't push it around to peck at and eat bugs. Then other sites say sand is the new best thing to use. Too many opinions!!!! I don't know what type of sand they are referring to either. I do know that everyone says not to use play sand/playbox sand.

Any help and information you have I am completely grateful for.

Awesome, Thank you!

I have called around and was told that they have "mason sand" and "concrete sand". She said the mason sand is finer and the concrete sand is grittier and has pieces mixed in with the sand. I don't know which one would be better to use. To me the concrete sand sounds better because its not as fine but it is also used to make concrete I believe so I don't know if there are particles that could harm the chickens.

Ahh I'm so confused, so many different options!! LOL

I've also read blogs where people said not to use sand as it can cause problems with bacteria and the chickens can't push it around to peck at and eat bugs. Then other sites say sand is the new best thing to use. Too many opinions!!!! I don't know what type of sand they are referring to either. I do know that everyone says not to use play sand/playbox sand.

Any help and information you have I am completely grateful for.

I'm interested what kind of sand also. We are building our very first coop and I'd like to pick the right bedding the first time!
I believe I have the masonry sand. That also has different sized pieces. (I'm not familiar with the concrete sand).

Everyone has strong opinions on what they like, so sometimes you have to bite the bullet and make a decision.
It may depend on your climate, etc. I live in the PNW, and a lot of people like sand here, but I'm sure there are those who hate it.
Having good drainage underneath is important for ANY run, regardless of what you use.

I like the sand in a covered run, it keeps the feet nice and clean, they dust bath in it, and they pick through it.
The masonry sand drains well. The poop dries up very quickly. (I mixed some PDZ in with mine; purchase by the bag at feed stores).
This is a good article on sand. (I don't agree with all of her opinions, but I do with sand).
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/09/chicken-coop-bedding-sand-litter.html

I do have a large concrete mixing tub in the sand area with soil, peat moss and wood ash and they play around in that, too.

No, there isn't accessible dirt. So I do think it is a good idea to let them also free range even part time, or have an additional 'daytime' area attached that has dirt/leave/pine needles/wood chips/deep litter, or whatever you choose.

Last edited:
I'm in the PNW too, specifically just outside of the Mt. Baker National Forest. This is what their free range area looks like.
They will have lots of leaves, bark, moss to dig around in. I was wondering what to put in the coop. It has a cement pad with cinder block walls. And what is PDZ? Thanks in advance!

Congratulations!
I still use sand in my run, I love it. Works great, no smell, easy to clean and rake, and keeps the girls nails neat a tidy. We bought "washed sand" or commonly referred to as "levelling sand" from a local supplier. It doesn't wash away as easily as masonry sand and is also much less dusty (is what our local supplier told us). There is some gravel from underneath that has mixed in with the sand from the girls scratching around and some of it settled but, that is really not a big deal; the sand just needs to be topped up from time to time.
Have fun with your chickens
thumbsup.gif

I guess mine would be considered masonry sand. I don't know. I get it from a place that sells rock for rock/stone walls (and other projects) I'm in the southeast; where the temps stay warm for most of the year...Ok, HOT during the summer. :) The sand stays cool, in the shade, and they do love to dig holes in it to nap when it's hot out. They really love bathing in it. It does dry the poop better and faster than letting it sit on the dirt. I have less chicken coop smell. I'm guessing it is because the poop dries so quickly. It could be my hot/humid climate, but I don't notice bugs in the sand. Flys on top, of course; but no worms or beatles etc. not a huge deal for me since I let them free rage in the fall and winter. Spring and summer they stay in due to the fact that I can't fence in all the areas that I garden in. so they miss out on the bugs. Not a con, just an observation.
Enjoy your feathered adventure.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom