Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
I put sand in my coop after an exceptionally wet spring and the mud was nasty smelly. Once I had sand the only time it smelled was when the chickens scratched down to the mud. Once summer dried everything out I never had the smell again. Don't know how long you have had sand but you may need to change it all out after your run dries out real good. Now I am relocated and the birds can free range daily which really has put an end to smelly run issues since the run is used only on occasion now. So if you can free range them it helps tremendously. Of course if you are limited strictly to a suburban backyard that really isn't much of an option. Good luck with the issue.

I have a chicken tractor... So I just use the sand in the coop.... I put some DE down last night , this morning the smell was normal... I guess it was just from it being wet... I've only had sand down for a month and added and scooped some out.....

I have a chicken tractor... So I just use the sand in the coop.... I put some DE down last night , this morning the smell was normal... I guess it was just from it being wet... I've only had sand down for a month and added and scooped some out..
Good to hear. I need to stop and get some DE myself.

"Man Sand" :gig  
Thank you…yes, I will check - we have a mulch place down the street.  I thought their prices were pretty steep, but maybe I don't know dirt!   For the 'concrete screening sand' he quoted me $50 / cubic yard, with a $45 per yard delivery charge.  My run is approximately 16' x 16', and I wanted to bring the level up about 3-6 inches.  He said I'd need close to 5 yards

a $45 per yard delivey fee is theft pure and simple. The fee should be $50-100 flat fee per delivery and if they cant deliver 5 yards all at once then they have no buisness offering a delivery.

"Man Sand"
gig.gif

Thank you…yes, I will check - we have a mulch place down the street. I thought their prices were pretty steep, but maybe I don't know dirt! For the 'concrete screening sand' he quoted me $50 / cubic yard, with a $45 per yard delivery charge. My run is approximately 16' x 16', and I wanted to bring the level up about 3-6 inches. He said I'd need close to 5 yards
WOW - that's a lot of $$$. Must be a different type of sand?

Update: I've been using sand in my coop and run and I LOVE how easy it is to clean up! That, and the sand and poop together are a great addition to my compost pile of kelp and kitchen grounds.

a $45 per yard delivey fee is theft pure and simple. The fee should be $50-100 flat fee per delivery and if they cant deliver 5 yards all at once then they have no buisness offering a delivery.

Google Cubic yard calculator. You can enter your dimensions and depth and get an instant answer. My run is 12' x 8' and I wanted 3-4" depth. I believe at 4" I came up with .45 cubic yard. It actually work out exactly right. I have a pick up and was able to pick it up myself. luckily I didn't need more than half yard because I was low riding it home in my Ram 1500...

Back
Top Bottom