Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
Seems most people are worried about "sand" fleas. I haven't seen any responses
by people using sand, saying they have problem with fleas, myself included.

So I am wondering that perhaps the chickens are doing all the removal, so that
there is no chance for a real build up of fleas.

What do you think?

Birdlady79, your thoughts about washing out the coup every 4 months or so is good.
Dust is not good for poultry or their care givers. I just did my major cleaning last
week. I also used some "simple green" to scrub some of the floor and walls.
Rinse, rinse, and then Rinse again. Not sure if my Speckled Sussex appreciate
my work, but I do like the results.

Bohmemian

Seems most people are worried about "sand" fleas. I haven't seen any responses
by people using sand, saying they have problem with fleas, myself included.

So I am wondering that perhaps the chickens are doing all the removal, so that
there is no chance for a real build up of fleas.

What do you think?

Birdlady79, your thoughts about washing out the coup every 4 months or so is good.
Dust is not good for poultry or their care givers. I just did my major cleaning last
week. I also used some "simple green" to scrub some of the floor and walls.
Rinse, rinse, and then Rinse again. Not sure if my Speckled Sussex appreciate
my work, but I do like the results.

Bohmemian

I have heard that adding a bit of food-grade DE (Diatomaceous Earth) to the sand will take care of eliminating most of the creepy-crawlies. I haven't even gotten my sand yet though!

Well, I saw a utube on a guy cleaning his sand with what looked like a sieve type utensil made for silverware...I went to WallyMart and sure enough I found something similar and to work I went yesterday and then finished today...
celebrate.gif
..I LOVE MY SAND !!!! CHECK THIS OUT!
lau.gif
I didn't put any new sand in ...I did add some PDZ.... They had so much fun spreading the pile out....(where I sifted everything.)....

Last edited:
Question: WHEN did you put sand in the run, and what was the surface like before you put it down? I have a new coop/run and it's on the ground, which is grassy. So far, they haven't done any damage to the grass because I let them out in the fenced-in back yard during the day.

Do I wait for them to eat the grass in the run down and then put in sand? I think I'm going to try sand in the coop this weekend.

thanks!

I wouldn't put anything over any grassy area. I'm thinking about building an area just for my sand in the run. This is all purpose sand from the garden shop at Lowe's and its in my coop...played down a linoleum flooring first. I will use construction mixed sand when the grass is gone in the run.

Thanks! That makes sense. They seem to like picking around in the grass, they just aren't in there that much.

I'm in NC, too! Just down in Carteret County.

What type of sand are people using for their runs and coops?
So many are listed, from playground sand, masonry sand, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks! I knew I wanted to stay away from the "dusty, silica" kind, but that didn't really tell me which one that was. My next plan was to drive down to some riverbed and start shoveling river sand into rubbermaid totes. I have a feeling I wouldn't have been able to get them loaded once they were full LOL.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom