Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
Eagleeyeice,
I can see from your photo you are in the building stage. But I must say from the
picture, a very nice spot. Chair for viewing, wood for your fire, garden for
your vegetables. Not to mention the entertainment your chickens will provide.
What variety of chicken did you choose?

I was surprised to see you have 8 inches deep of sand. I did not go that deep
as there is a "flow" of sand slowly going outside the run. Of course as I clean
and replenish, it must be 4 inches deep now.

Thank all the BYC folks, I am going to try the sand in the coop for this Winter.
It will be easier than paper/cardboard/chips. I will let everyone know my
experience next Spring. It's only around the corner.
NY Bohemian

How are you finding the wood ash? I would be concerned about the chickens getting
sooty? If it good for you, let us know. Everyone is always looking for something useful
to do with wood ashes.

NY Bohemian

• Bohemian
  • new_egg.v168221180.png
  • Jumping in here. I have an outside fire pit., Lots of folks burn wood to heat their home. It mixes well for their dust baths
  • Select All Posts By This User
How are you finding the wood ash? I would be concerned about the chickens getting
sooty? If it good for you, let us know. Everyone is always looking for something useful
to do with wood ashes.

NY Bohemian

I usually get mine from my own fireplace...the mix them with sand and maybe a little DE. Theydo love to dust bathe in that mixture. Cases should be just wood ash..stay away from any that have ashes from any chemicals, starter fluid/ easy starter logs.etc. go natural

Bohemian,
As far as my 8" of sand, i used a section of my kids old sandbox for the run. Originally it was 9' X 14' so I used some of it for stacking wood, and some for the run and a small piece for a garden, and it just happened to be that deep. It is all finished now and the run seems to be pretty easy to keep clean. (BTW, the chair was for me to relax while building. LOL)

Wood ashes? I heat my house with wood so over the winter have lots, and can't imagine using them or even where I would put it down for the chickens. I sure wouldn't put it in my run, or hen house. Sounds like a major mess to me. Maybe if I lived in the country I'd dump some outside for them.
And in the winter, the yard is deep with snow, so that mix sounds bad to me.

I have access to several good creeks in my area that have some very good sand banks built up. From what I've read here, this would be good to use for bedding. Other than my labor...the sand is free. And I love me some free stuff. Is there any problem with digging it up right up from the creek banks?

Jeff

Bank sand may have quite a bit of clay in it & may pack in a run. Once it's dry it would probably be OK for a dust bath mixed with ash and or DE. When I think sand or creek sand I'm thinking more like contractors sand or like what's on a beach.

to do with wood ashes.

NY Bohemian

Bohemian,
As far as my 8" of sand, i used a section of my kids old sandbox for the run. Originally it was 9' X 14' so I used some of it for stacking wood, and some for the run and a small piece for a garden, and it just happened to be that deep. It is all finished now and the run seems to be pretty easy to keep clean. (BTW, the chair was for me to relax while building. LOL)

Wood ashes? I heat my house with wood so over the winter have lots, and can't imagine using them or even where I would put it down for the chickens. I sure wouldn't put it in my run, or hen house. Sounds like a major mess to me. Maybe if I lived in the country I'd dump some outside for them.
And in the winter, the yard is deep with snow, so that mix sounds bad to me.

Hi All, I use wood ashes also. I always have them in the girls coop. I burn wood pellets, so the ash is fine, sometime there is hard chunks of ash, the girls just kick it off to the side. I use a plastic bin and tuck in a corner of the coop. The girls use it all winter and sometimes in the summer. They don't get sooty because the ash is dry. Really not any different then having them dust bathe outside. When they're done they shake off and go on their merry way !! I also add poultry dust to the ash, it kills any mites or lice the girls might have.

Now that is interesting. I love learning something here all the time. So, they really need to dust all winter long also, even when they will be locked up in the coop for an extended period of time. Last winter was brutal, and the old farmers almenac says that this coming winter will be even colder.
Like cracrzy4chicks, I'm going to put a big kitty litter container in a corner of my hen house with wood ashes in this fall. I saw where someone mixed ashes with other things, like some sand and I can't remember what else. Actually I'll try it in the run first.
Like Reagan says, "trust but verify" I'd rather have the mess outside if it is one.

Back
Top Bottom