Anyone use SAND in the run/coop

Pics
Everything I read recommends sand as a great coop/run litter. My question is, has anyone had a problem with ants in the sand? I live in Texas, and I was told to watch out for ants if I go with sand.

Anyone have any ant problems and if so how did you handle it?

I am going with sand for sure, I just want to try to stay ahead of any problems that may arise.

Thank you!

Everything I read recommends sand as a great coop/run litter.  My question is, has anyone had a problem with ants in the sand?  I live in Texas, and I was told to watch out for ants if I go with sand.  

Anyone have any ant problems and if so how did you handle it?  

I am going with sand for sure, I just want to try to stay ahead of any problems that may arise.

Thank you!

I imagine the best defense against ants would be keeping the food off the ground, I use a hanging feeder. I have never had ants in my coop. Although there are various reports that chickens either do or don't eat ants, one thing they definitely do is scratch and dig a lot, so it would not be a hospitable place for an ant hill as they would dig it up. I have ants other places in my yard, but never the coop.

Love my sand...easy to clean...I have no pests. Hang my water/feed. Have funnel turned down over my feed in case any little climbing critters want to give the chain a try. Think putting a piece of plastic hose over my chain would give them a realy good fall ! LOL

I'm no expert, and lots of people recommend sand, but read this first:

http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/07/the-real-scoop-on-using-sand-in-your.html
Well, that is certainly one opinion. Here's my take on her main points:

• harbors E.coli - possibly, but I find it unlikely it does this more than other bedding methods, especially damp straw/pine shavings left over 6 months in deep litter? I clean my coop almost daily.
  • allows coccidiosis to run rampant or in some cases eradicates it completely (both extremes are harmful) - this really doesn't make any sense at all from a logical standpoint. And again, how is some other material less likely to do this?
  • dust can lead to respiratory/breathing problems - possibly true.
  • can lead to impacted crops - in chicks? possibly. I don't think I would use it in a brooder. Then again chicks can eat pine shavings too. I do think the heat lamp on the sand could be a real issue.
  • real possibility of 'breaded' feces being eaten by your flock - not even sure what this means. If feces are covered in sand are they somehow more likely to be eaten than feces covered in pine shavings? Doesn't make sense to me.
  • hot in the summer - only in the sun, which around here is deadly anyway, the whole coop is shaded so not an issue. The hens can still dig down to the soil underneath anyhow.
  • no insulating factors in the winter - not applicable to my climate, we get frost about 4x/yr
  • not 'green', i.e. not compostable - baloney. I collect my droppings all the time and compost them, even though there is some sand on them. I use a kitty litter scoop to sift out the manure and compost. The soil at my house is very clay-like. Some sand in my compost (clinging to manure) is no issue whatsoever. The only issue is that I do need to have lots of other brown things to add to the compost, but dried leaves work perfectly fine.

I'm not really persuaded by these arguments, at least not for where I live. In addition many people near me live out of town essentially in the desert where the ground is basically all sand, and chickens seems fine (although obviously precautions have to be taken in the heat). YMMV.

How about putting landscape fabric down under the sand? Then make the sand deep enough that the chickens don't dig to the bottom and rip up the landscape fabric. That would keep the clay from mixing in. Or, you could do the concrete pad with sand on top, but you will need to make sides to keep the sand from washing away, you can use the landscape fabric to contain the sand while letting the water through.

Cloth may not work...chickens dig at my cloth in my beds.

Well, that is certainly one opinion. Here's my take on her main points:
  • harbors E.coli - possibly, but I find it unlikely it does this more than other bedding methods, especially damp straw/pine shavings left over 6 months in deep litter? I clean my coop almost daily.
  • allows coccidiosis to run rampant or in some cases eradicates it completely (both extremes are harmful) - this really doesn't make any sense at all from a logical standpoint. And again, how is some other material less likely to do this?
  • dust can lead to respiratory/breathing problems - possibly true.
  • can lead to impacted crops - in chicks? possibly. I don't think I would use it in a brooder. Then again chicks can eat pine shavings too. I do think the heat lamp on the sand could be a real issue.
  • real possibility of 'breaded' feces being eaten by your flock - not even sure what this means. If feces are covered in sand are they somehow more likely to be eaten than feces covered in pine shavings? Doesn't make sense to me.
  • hot in the summer - only in the sun, which around here is deadly anyway, the whole coop is shaded so not an issue. The hens can still dig down to the soil underneath anyhow.
  • no insulating factors in the winter - not applicable to my climate, we get frost about 4x/yr
  • not 'green', i.e. not compostable - baloney. I collect my droppings all the time and compost them, even though there is some sand on them. I use a kitty litter scoop to sift out the manure and compost. The soil at my house is very clay-like. Some sand in my compost (clinging to manure) is no issue whatsoever. The only issue is that I do need to have lots of other brown things to add to the compost, but dried leaves work perfectly fine.
I'm not really persuaded by these arguments, at least not for where I live. In addition many people near me live out of town essentially in the desert where the ground is basically all sand, and chickens seems fine (although obviously precautions have to be taken in the heat). YMMV.
I too have read what seems to be all the pros and cons, including this site. We have used all purpose, and have no problems. I feel as long as you don't use fine play sand u will be fine as chicks need small rocks.

Still using construction sand after a year in our covered run. I mix in some Stall Dry and wood ash under the coop.
I did cover the lower sides of the run (2/3) with plastic over the winter to keep it dry, being in the PNW.

Very successful!

Back
Top Bottom