Anyone use snares?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by texasgal, Jun 22, 2011.

1. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    I set 4 Monday night .. snared my first possum last night.

Okay, okay, I would have been happier with a coon ... but, DANG, those simple little snares WORK!

I.WANT.MORE.SNARES! [​IMG]

2. kesali

kesali Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    far northern Wisconsin
    We used to make snares out of "G" piano wire when we were kids. I'm going back many decades, but I think it was "G" wire. We used them mostly for rabbits back then. If placed correctly where you know the animal is going to go, they can be deadly. When it starts to tighten, the animal panics and jumps or runs forward which tightens the snare. I guess they never seem to realize that they should backup when they feel the snare.!! The main problem is they are just as deadly on pets as they are on varmints!!

3. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Well, plus the fact that when they start panicking, they release adrenaline & that makes the meat gamey.

4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I like snares a lot coon will slow down sometimes and wriggle the snare off their neck it is important to "load " the snare so it closes as quick as possiblecoon you might try 6-8" loop about 6" off the walking surface

5. philintheblank

philintheblank Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonton
    Use the snares with the cam locks on them, then they only go one way... TIGHT! they cant wiggle out of them then haha, you can buy them on trapping websites by the dozen

6. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Snares are very effective, quite inexpensive and are humane compared to leg traps. Make sure you vary your sets so they are not all the same height and diameter. Coons that do get away seem to tell all their friends

7. texasgal

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:LOL .. THAT is a problem .. and why the live traps don't work anymore ..

I figured they haven't seen snares much around here so hopefully I can get a few before "the word" gets out ..

8. texasgal

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:Ya, well ... don't plan to EAT these coons.

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Better make sure they are legal in your area. Some places they are, some they aren't.

10. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    A.T. Hagan :

Better make sure they are legal in your area. Some places they are, some they aren't.

Yup, you have that right.

I'd love to be able to use some but legally can't.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by