Anyone use solar/thermal mass heating for coop and waterers in winter?

VA from WV

Songster
10 Years
Sep 26, 2009
Eastern Pandhandle WV
I'm toying with some ideas for keeping water de-iced on all but the coldest days, and found myself looking at old solar hot water designs. Then I remembered thermal mass ideas for greenhouses.

Anyone either play with/have any input. I can think of a legion of reasons why it probably won't work, or is impractical with the number of coops I have active. But the kernel of a single mad idea sometimes yields results that aren't completely stupid.
smile.png

Well, I have taken an old circular cooler and filled it full of warm water. On really cold nights, there was slush in the mornings, but most days it was fine.

This is small stuff but we keep our electric dog bowl on a patio block raised on cinder blocks. The patio block is always warm even after I remove the bowl to refill it. I would also think that if you have a window at the right angle to catch winter sun most of the day you could use stone or concrete mass to absorb and hold heat...

Newwaterer5Dec0908.jpg

Is there a way to keep water warmer during cold weather using solar power or anything of renewable power? that would be great to know of a way of doing this at a good price.

I wouldnt heat the coop. Thats inviting sickness into the flock- unless you have tropical birds.

I've never use the thermal mass for water, but we've been messing with the idea too. I think the easiest way seems to be with black tubing and an old water heater. Theres video's on you tube on how to set them up, and easy plans online if you google it.

I think you should go for it! You could get your supplies on craigslist i bet!

You could build a brick wall to use as a roost. Paint it black an put it where the sun hits it most of the day. The blocks should radiate heat all night. A black slab for the waterier would do the same. A 55 gallon drum waterier painted black would do the same thing.

I have a galvanized waterer for my girls. I wonder if painting it black would absorb enough heat during the day to keep the water from freezing? I'm also thinking about how to design a simple 6VDC light bulb under the waterer to keep it warm at night when it gets cold. anyone already done this?

Back
Top Bottom