Anyone used copper sulfate before?

I would have gone with straight ACV - if it is Sour Crop, it is a fungal overgrowth and this can be knocked down really well with a pH shift. Of course, the copper would kill it, but it is a much more risky treatment, IMO. I'm not a vet, but I am a chemist. I don't think I would ever give my chicken copper sulfate, too much risk of toxicity for my taste.

I'm sure it worked, copper sulfate is used in common garden fungicides, so it would probably be great at knocking out a fungal infection in a chicken's crop. If it's not fully gone, I would recommend using the ACV as a follow up instead of any more copper sulfate.

Peter Brown is the owner of First State Vet Supply. I do not know whether his degree is in Poultry Science or as a Veterinarian. If i were you, I would follow his directions. I have used him in the past and have been well pleased with his advise. I do not mean offense to anyone on here, but asking him for advice then asking people on here what they think is like going to a Dr. then calling your friends to get his diagnosis approved. He knows how to treat poultry illness better than the members here. JMHO

Quote:
I am following his instructions and fully trust his judgment. I hope it didn't come off like I was second guessing him. He's not available for a couple of days and I was seeking clarification on a couple of things. I am thrilled to have found him, and totally impressed with his knowledge and bedside manner! (coop-side manner? phone-side manner?
smile.png
)

Thanks to everyone for your input!

See "the Poultry site" There are great instructions for using it for Canker. YES you need to be careful & be accurate on water mixture. It also instructs to use Epsom Salt first(READ Specifics on site). It makes sense now to me. I was using just Braggs Aplle Cider Vinegar with the Mother(unfiltered). I noticed some improvement but it became stagnant. Its because the Vinegar can't cut through the Mucus(which I not only see/feel in mouth but was on my Feeder tube). I can feel the Balls in the Crop & I actually eliminated a few with just the Vinegar but I can feel more near where the Crop/gizzard are.
Another good source of Reading is go to "Poultry Pedia.com" I LOVE this site. Click on "Fungal Infections" & it will give you all symptoms. I initially thought I was dealing with CRD. I lost several & FINALLY Realized I had Mold in the Roof Under the Darn Shingles. If you have a WOOD Roof & even a sm. leak don't think just patching it will fix the problem. Mine leaked 2xs(Very Sm.) but in turn the moisture couldn't escape & the Mold continued to Grow. I was so upset/confused & didn't know what to look at next as a cause to the Respiratory issues/Heavy Mouth-Respiratory mucus. I finally Ripped the tiles off the roof near the leak spot & I found a CARPET of WHITE MOLD!
I'm getting ready to try this treatment & see what happens because I'm aware the Antifungals are $$$ through the Avian Vet.
GOOD LUCK & will try to report back!

Ok, I just spoke to the Avian Vet(30+yrs practicing). She stated "Canker" is more rare in Chickens & more common in Pigeons. Cankers are attatched & NOT FREE Moving. She stated if I was feeling " Free Moving Balls" in the Crop then this is a Yeast Infection & if left untreated the Mucus that this produces CAN cause problems with breathing. It DOES fall into the Fungus category She stated the Epsom Salts wasn't necessary to cut through the Mucus but I PERSONALLY started treating with Denegard. I noticed that within 48hrs the Crop is down considerably & I can feel the Balls a lot easier & her Breathing is much better. I'm presuming that the Denegard(which DOES have a Salt base) is treating the secondary infection & in turn also having an effect on the Mucus. I really like Denegard because it can treat a Wide Variety of problems (inc. CRD). Its FDA approved but Not listed for Chickens in the U.S. I DID find it for $50 & this will last you quite awhile if you have a sm. flock(20Hens). You CAN access their site but you will see a disclaimer "NOT for U.S. Citizens). My Avian Vet had recommended it when we were unsure if I was dealing with CRD. She thought it was Fungal to begin with but then when all were building up with this Mucus Over & over we then leaned toward something contageous. Sad to say but I just couldn't afford multiple Vet visits & labs. Needless to say Mold can be deadly. You may also notice that your hen has NO Breast Muscle(see Fungal on Poultry Pedia for Symptoms). It will even tell you that it can me mistaken for 3 -4 other diseases like CRD.
She stated that you can use 1/4 tsp. of Copper Sulfate per Gallon of Water(reduced would be 1/8 tsp per 2qts). This needs to be made fresh daily & NO metal containers. The Hen (5-8lbs. needs to consume 1-1.5oz of this liquid mixture daily for 1 week). If you can't get them to drink then you will need to use a Feeder tube which should have a long thin rubber hose on it to get right into the Crop(for the ones not familiar). I hear you can get them at a Feed store but not where I live so I had to go to a Medical supply store. I asked about mixing in the ACV with "the Mother"(apple cider vinegar) & she stated this is more of a preventative than a treatment. I personally will be adding in 1/2 -1tsp into my 1/8th mixture. I have read it has good benefits & creates Good Bacteria. She stated if I don't see a change by day 3-4 then I'm probably not on the right course She stated IF its Canker then Flagyl is the appropriate medicine. Its relatively one of the cheaper ones & requires a week to treat.
I'm lucky that she will sell it to me without coming in but I'm just going to mention this if your in a financial pickle. I'm finding it available through the UK. I found 1 link through Amazon & another through Ebay. I personally as a Medical Assistant don't like going out of Country but I have done it before. These were in a Tablet form so you will need to find an appropriate dose for a Normal Hen(pigeon is 1 Tablet & "Read" a grown Hen would need 2). They come in a Box of 20? or 21. This should be confirmed before hand. Hope this Helps & will report back with results.
God Bless!

I would never give copper sulfate to a chicken!

I use it in my toilet to keep the roots from growing into the pipes in the backyard on a regular basis.

I used copper sulphate for a rooster who was extremely sick and it brought him back to life and he is fine now :)

Back
Top Bottom