Anyone used copper sulfate before?

AmyBella

Songster
13 Years
May 26, 2009
Western MA
It was recommended that I give my bird copper sulfate in her water for a crop issue. Do I have to make up a new solution each day or can I just keep using from the same batch? Also, I have seen it recommended in several places to add ACV to the water along with the copper sulfate. I was not told to do this... should I?

The copper sulfate looks so poisonous and harsh to me. I'm a little leery of it...

Quote:
ep.gif

I gave her a tiny, tiny bit last night, diluted to half the recommendation. Her crop is much better this morning... don't know if it was the CuSo4, but I am grateful!

Peter Brown is the owner of First State Vet Supply. I do not know whether his degree is in Poultry Science or as a Veterinarian. If i were you, I would follow his directions. I have used him in the past and have been well pleased with his advise. I do not mean offense to anyone on here, but asking him for advice then asking people on here what they think is like going to a Dr. then calling your friends to get his diagnosis approved. He knows how to treat poultry illness better than the members here. JMHO

Quote:
I am following his instructions and fully trust his judgment. I hope it didn't come off like I was second guessing him. He's not available for a couple of days and I was seeking clarification on a couple of things. I am thrilled to have found him, and totally impressed with his knowledge and bedside manner! (coop-side manner? phone-side manner?
smile.png
)

Thanks to everyone for your input!

My poor girl is pretty sick. I contacted Peter Brown (AKA the chicken doctor) for advice. Her symptoms are mouth breathing, listlessness, eyes closed. She was coughing when she ate and drank. We ruled out gapeworm, and ILT... started her on penecillin as he suspected something bacterial. We're one week into the sickness and for the last couple of days her crop has been swollen, soft and gassy. Friday night she puked up A LOT of the most insane clear mucus. It was so sticky, like in "Alien"! Yesterday, crop had not gone down, so he recommended the copper sulfate.

I would never give copper sulfate to a chicken!

I use it in my toilet to keep the roots from growing into the pipes in the backyard on a regular basis.

I used copper sulphate for a rooster who was extremely sick and it brought him back to life and he is fine now :)

I wish I could tell you, but the only experience I have had with coper sulfate was making a battery, coating a nickle in copper (electroplating) and growing blue crystals in in class which we were told not to eat because it was toxic. Of course, toxic is relative to mass, and we were kids, and teachers probably didn't want us to get sick if there was a slight chance. I believe it is mixed with another chemical and used as a pesticide/fungicide/herbicide on certain types of plants.

What are you treating, exactly?
Does she have sour crop?

CuSo4 is supposed to treat for parasitic infection as well as bacterial. I've never heard of anyone treating a chicken for "crop issues" with copper sulfate. I think it's supposed to be an emetic but generally considered too toxic for use nowadays, but birds aren't supposed to throw up anyway.

Well I guess I'd do it if you trust Dr Brown, I've heard good things about him on here. He's probably telling you the right thing to do.

Me personally I think I'd look for another method of treatment but since I don't know exactly what's going on with your hen you had probably better do what the doctor says.

I immagine the Copper Sulfate interacts with the Acetic Acid in vinegar, so I wouldn't mix them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom