Acidified Copper Sulfate - To the Rescue

Redbirdgirl

Hatching
Jan 6, 2023
I have had chickens for 8 years, and this forum is a wealth of information. Recently, I had a bird with a serious sour crop. I picked her up 3 days ago and she vomited sour gross fluid down my legs. I tried everything I could find: ACV, Kefir, massage, miconazole, more massage, greek yogurt, oregano and other herbs! I finally broke down and utilized Acidified copper sulfate in her water, 1/4 tsp to a gallon of water, first in a dropper to get it into her, then in her bowl. Only a day later, she is WAY better. Her crop deflated significantly, she hopped off her perch and came out to have some breakfast this morning. I know there are many disagreements about this chemical, and people who disparage the use of it in their flock, but it has NEVER failed to rid my girls of a sour crop. It is a tool, and one that I am glad to have in my arsenal. Just wanted to let people know that its OK to do what works for you and your flock, quickly, efficiently, and without any drama. I am so relieved that my bird is better, and just want to share the knowledge in case someone is on the fence about using it. Thank you to all those great chicken mamas and papas out there for your insight and knowledge. I am a huge fan of this site and what it offers!

I have had chickens for 8 years, and this forum is a wealth of information. Recently, I had a bird with a serious sour crop. I picked her up 3 days ago and she vomited sour gross fluid down my legs. I tried everything I could find: ACV, Kefir, massage, miconazole, more massage, greek yogurt, oregano and other herbs! I finally broke down and utilized Acidified copper sulfate in her water, 1/4 tsp to a gallon of water, first in a dropper to get it into her, then in her bowl. Only a day later, she is WAY better. Her crop deflated significantly, she hopped off her perch and came out to have some breakfast this morning. I know there are many disagreements about this chemical, and people who disparage the use of it in their flock, but it has NEVER failed to rid my girls of a sour crop. It is a tool, and one that I am glad to have in my arsenal. Just wanted to let people know that its OK to do what works for you and your flock, quickly, efficiently, and without any drama. I am so relieved that my bird is better, and just want to share the knowledge in case someone is on the fence about using it. Thank you to all those great chicken mamas and papas out there for your insight and knowledge. I am a huge fan of this site and what it offers!
This is a great story.

Welcome to BYC!

I've used Acidified Copper Sulfate for treating a severe case of yeast infection in one of my roosters. Treatments with Monostat, Fluconazole, Nystatin all failed. I suspect it was also in his digestive tract and the ACS wiped it out.
However, due to our hot/humid moist environment; I use Epsom Salts to keep it in check every now and then.
I can tell when to treat him if there's the slightest gurgle when he's crowing.

Back
Top Bottom