Sour Crop with possible foreign body

Jun 3, 2022
Hello! I have a 2 year old Australorp who has been lethargic for about 3 weeks now (following slowly behind the flock & laying down a lot). Shows interest in food/water but doesn’t consume much. I tried giving her Nutridrench a few times, she would perk up for a couple days then go lethargic again.

Up until this point her crop has felt normal with small amounts of feed inside. Two days ago I picked her up and her crop was squishy and foul smelling fluid came out of her mouth. I squeezed out what I could, brought her inside in isolation and am giving her water with copper sulfate to treat sour crop. I am withholding food. Poop looks normal. I can see from the container she’s been drinking the water.

It’s now been two days and her crop has not emptied. It feels like about a tablespoon worth of scratch in there and what I believe is a foreign body. It’s larger than a pea but smaller than a marble, round and possibly sharp edges (almost like a large sticker).

Question 1: How do I get the crop to empty? Will the foreign body pass?

Question 2: How long do I give her the copper sulfate? I also bought monostat 7 today but have never used that for sour crop before. I’m assuming I shouldnt give both at the same time.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• D0D14567-994A-46BE-9C56-A3260D924D14.jpeg
    D0D14567-994A-46BE-9C56-A3260D924D14.jpeg
    915.1 KB · Views: 227
So, here is an article about treating sour crop.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

You can try some of the things on there, but the sour crop may be happening because she has something else more serious going on, and her digestion and organs aren't working properly. Hopefully someone else will have an idea about whether a small mass like that could be the cause of the issue, but I am not sure if that is it.

I'll still hope for the best. :fl

Back
Top Bottom