Anyone used OSB board?

Okiemommy, yes, I was thinking about Kilzs.
I use it for doing drywall water damage jobs.
Thanks for your reply about your coop.
I will probably two coat the edge and few inches around them.

I will probably end up using Kilz and then keep watch on Craigslist for barn siding. I got a bunch free before and used it for my rabbit hutch.

No problem.
smile.png

All my coops have had OSB at one point. I use it until I can afford plywood. My big coop was built in October and painted with primer and 2 coats of exterior paint. There are some bad spots, but OSB can last about a year in bad climates, and is a great fix while you get financials set up
big_smile.png

Quote:
I am such a newbie! I want to make sure that I understand. I can use OSB for the outside IF I cover it with vapor barrier (that black paper stuff stapled up?) and then I can put a siding on that?

I have all these 6" pine boards that I salvaged that would work great for siding. I'm not sure if I plan on interior walls and I didn't want the gaps/cracks that I would get from just the pine boards. So if I can use OSB for the outside that would be GREAT!
wee.gif

I can use OSB for the outside IF I cover it with vapor barrier (that black paper stuff stapled up?) and then I can put a siding on that?

Yes, that is how it was designed to be used.

BTW. I caulked every angle. This will help with drafts.​

Quote:
Yes, that is how it was designed to be used.

BTW. I caulked every angle. This will help with drafts.

Yes but not the paper stuff. Some have used tar paper which is not a proper vapor barrier but this baeing a chicken coop which will not be sealed up like a house is then that might work to protect the OSB from water from the outside.

Tyvek house wrap is what is used. It is pricey stuff though.

Hope this helps

Oh and here's some good info:

http://osbguide.tecotested.com/

jeremy

Last edited:
I just build our first coop and I used the bedliner roll on stuff for the OSB to seal it .After that a coat of paint will go on top of that. I also sealed the rims and will put rubber gasget ) moulding) around the top hatch/access door for no drips or driving rain. That will do fine for now I think

The roll on bed liner swells a little to get into the cracks and it seals it. By tomorow I will know if I do need another coat but so far it looks good after 3 hour drying time.
Thats another option ;)JMHO:D
I took this a few minutes ago and maybe a bit hard to see ..

Picture138.jpg

Yes but not the paper stuff. Some have used tar paper which is not a proper vapor barrier but this baeing a chicken coop which will not be sealed up like a house is then that might work to protect the OSB from water from the outside.

Tar Paper has been used for a very long time under siding until Tyvek came along due to better quality as well as being faster to apply due to greater widths.​

I just build our first coop and I used the bedliner roll on stuff for the OSB to seal it .

Very interesting idea.
If you have any more thoughts on this process as it cures be good to know.

I'll have to check that out.

I like out of the box thinking like you did.

Thanks!​

I would never try to use OSB as an exterior application in my humid climate. Metal is the cheapest way to go here, even though a vapor barrier is needed. OSB attracts moisture. Swells up and turns into oatmeal if outdoors. Paint and Kilz just delay the inevitable here. Works fine if fully indoors though.

Where on earth is NE of Duvall? Helps here if you include your state in your subject line.

Back
Top Bottom