Pressure Treated vs Kiln Dried? Anyone tried Shou Sugi Ban/Yakisugi?

CoopPoop

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2024
East Kansas
Hello all,

Apologies for the wordy thread on this. We are planning to build our first coop this month and looking for others experience/opinions in materials used to make a long lasting shelter. Has anyone tired using charred pine (Shou Sugi Ban) in their coop construction aside from just siding and if so how has it held up over the years? Is Pressure Treated (PT) the best way to go when building a coop/frame?

Some background info:
  • Located in Eastern Kansas.
  • Dimensions of Coop will be 4x4 with spacing under plus a 8x4 run giving us a total of 48 square foot.
  • Coop/Run posts will be built on pavers so no wood will be in direct ground contact.
  • Planning to build under a maple tree and in a area that does not get extreme rain/snow/wind and will receive plenty of direct and indirect sunlight depending on the time of day.
  • We plan to paint our coop, the questions is more in regards to the framing and run.
The great PT debate:
While I understand the chemicals used nowadays are not nearly are dangerous to be around I would prefer to use environmentally friendly methods whenever possible. My main issues with using PT lumber are the treatment only penetrates the outer layer of the board meaning any cuts made will render that side unprotected unless manually applying wood preservative to each cut end. We would also need to factor in the cost or paint or exterior stain as raw pine, while beautiful in it's own right, is not the aesthetic we are wanting for our coop.

Let there be fire:
Alternatively, I had stumbled on the process of Shou Sugi Ban when researching ideas for cheap, long lasting garden beds and started to think "Why not use it on a coop as well?" The process involves charring wood to create timber that is naturally resistant to UV damage, insects, and, moisture. In terms of building a coop with this method we'd be looking at purchasing kiln dried lumber, charring, brushing, then giving them a coat of boiled linseed oil for additional protection. Once boards are cut to size any cut ends would be re-charred to fully seal any unprotected areas.

Is it worth it:
Cost wise, pressure treated lumber in my area is only around $1.10* more per board and I believe the cost saving for all the lumber I needed came out to around $20ish dollars. As mentioned above with PT lumber we would also need to factor in the additional cost of extra stains/chemicals if we are wanting to go with a natural look. I plan to upcycle when/what I can but came to the realization I am gonna need to buy new lumber. I already have a propane torch and the boiled linseed oil needed and have played with this method for garden beds but those beds have not been outside long enough to really know how effective it is at preventing rot. While it's certainly more labor intensive I really like the idea of less chemicals around our flock and kids as well as look of it, just not enough to have to replace it in a year if the whole thing rots away.

Any experiences or feedback are greatly appreciated!

PT or SSB would really only need to be used on ground contact parts of a coop.

I've heard of folks wondering SSB on here before, but don't recall anyone actually using it.
IIRC, it might not work so well on the modern kiln dried lumber(being not to tight of a grain these day). Plus not sure it penetrates in much further than PT.

Located in Eastern Kansas.
Welcome to BYC! @CoopPoop
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1709770718781.png

I've never used it personally, but know someone who made a Japanese-style fence that has no fasteners on it. The slats are made out of thin 1/4" fir/pine "bender board" material used for concrete forming, and did the charring method for preservation. We're in CA, but it's holding up good 5-6yrs later, considering the material was only 1/4" thick, so I'd assume the charring is doing something

The Japanese use charred lumber to build homes with. I'm sure it would suffice for a chicken coop. I hope so because I may be building one myself.

You can paint the bottom inches of untreated wood with something (?) maybe tar (?) Ask at a lumber yard.

The Japanese use charred lumber to build homes with. I'm sure it would suffice for a chicken coop. I hope so because I may be building one myself.

You can paint the bottom inches of untreated wood with something (?) maybe tar (?) Ask at a lumber yard.
Thanks @Penpal! That was kind of my thought as well it seems to work for human shelter so wasn't sure about outdoor runs. If we do it I'll be sure to post on here and provide updates on how it ages.

You might want to consider making everything larger. You may want to add a couple of more chickens before long.
We are only starting with 3 and can have up to 6 in our area per local laws. The coop/run I have designed is built to accommodate for chicken math and the 4x4 frame layout means we should be able to easily add 4x4 sections if we need to expand.

Back
Top Bottom