Anyone using the open coop method?

We use an open front coop for our flock. They are in it year round. The entire coop & run is covered by fiberglass roofing. The coop itself, has 3 walls, and has a 3 foot high shelf. For winter preperation, the entire coop & run is wrapped in tarps, to cut down on drafts. When the temp gets down below 30 degrees, we give the girls a heat lamp.

Picturesoffmemorycard198.jpg

Housing our flock this way works well for us. Our flock is very healthy and active, and the only extra thing we have to do during the winter is to remove the snow off of the roof.

We have both open air and regular coop and run. It gets vry hot here so they enjoy the open air. I have a back two partial sides that connect to the run. There is a roof over half way then weled wire. The nest boxes are on the covered side and they have a roost pole against the back wall. This works for us. Even our regular coop has opennings at the top. There is a 18 inch opening covered in 1 inch welded wire that goes around the entire coop to help with ventilation. During the winter we cover this with plywood pieces. We also just added a screen door to this coop. They get a beautiful breeze coming in this door. It has really helped cool the coop down.
I also have a three sided open coop in one of my breeding pens. The nest boxes are on the top and they have a roost under that. It sits inside there run.

We also use our old goose house has a grow out pen. It is 4 x 4 x 8. It has two doors that open so the entire front is open. We keep these doors open during the daytime and close them in the evening when we put the chickens away. This way the coop is easy to clean and they get all the fresh air they need.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom