Anyone wants a Silkie Rooster

rabbit0927

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2018
Florida
I have to let my rooster go because I can’t keep him due to him crowing in my neighborhood.
He is a very good boy and is only 8 months old and very active and healthy.
Please let me know.
Thank you.

So your'e getting rid of him because he crows? How about a no-crow rooster collar? I heard they gently inhibit crowing with out interfering with breathing in a compact, humane collar for your roo. You can get them at online sites, or sometimes at farm supply stores that have a chicken isle. Good luck, and keep us posted!

We can't have chickens where we live so I got these cuties because they are small and thought both were hens but he started crowing but at first he was just doing it in the mornings and evening but now since he is getting older he does it almost 4-5 times in the day. So people are noticing it and the president of our HOA is looking for a rooster in the neighborhood :( I have been crying all weekend so you don't have to tell me how bad I feel, those are my babies. We have tried everything. We got the collar and it did not work and I don't want to go thru other option as they are in-humane. He has a very tiny neck but long so he is very uncomfortable with a tight collar and he is not himself. I felt sorry for him so I took it off. I tried to keep them inside as well but of course they are not happy as they want to go outside and play and scratch so I felt like I was just being selfish to them. They are cage free so they run around in our whole backyard and love it. But now since he has been crowing a lot, I had no option sadly.

I am in Delray Beach, Florida and he is Gold and the little girl is Grey with black streaks.
One of my friends neighbor took them in on Saturday. She lives in Davie and they can have any kind of animals on their property so everyone has chickens and other farm animals. My friend didn't know them personally but passed my phone number to her. She called me so I had talked to her on the phone; she sounded really nice and gave me all the right answers and seemed very knowledgeable about chickens as she has all kinds of chickens on her property that are cage free. They live about 30 miles away from my house so we went to drop them off on Saturday.
To be honest, I didn't like that she had all the chickens in two huge steel cages with different heights of wood pieces going across and crates in the back for hens.
My lil bantam chickens lived a very spoiled and privileged life so far in their nice wooden coop so I really was not all that excited. And then she claimed on the phone that she have two Silkies just like mine and when I saw their white one, her feathers were all messed up so I was like what happened to her nice feathers and she was like well the other big roosters pick on them so I was so scared for my little girl as she is so tiny and fragile. Of course my rooster is the man and he will take care of her but I was like the other roosters and hens are bigger. So she said not to worry because they will all get used to each other. I was not comfortable at all but it was getting late and we were all getting bit by mosquitoes so we had to rush out.
I have been crying ever since as I felt so bad leaving them there. I was not 100% comfortable. And my husband kept on telling me that it will be fine.
I wanted to go back and get them back yesterday but everyone is telling me I can't get them back since the lady was nice enough to take them in.

Any ideas?

Not knowing the woman or the breeds in her flock I can't say for sure. I also cant speak as to her set up. However we keep our silkies with our large fowl flock and they do absolutely fine. In fact several of our silkies can regularly be found 4 feet in the air on the top roosts. Our main flock currently consists of 75 birds including 6 silkies.

I think you were lucky to find someone that would take them in as many cockerals (immature roosters under 1 year old) never find homes. Of course they probably won't be as much spoiled pets as they were with you but they will get to be chickens.

Chickens do much better in groups of four or more as they are a flock animal. If you choose to try again with chickens I would suggest looking into seramas or other bantams that are easier to sex. While silkies are great birds and I love ours they aren't the easiest to buy sexed. I know my pet chicken does.

I don't suggest you break the law to keep them though or if you do I would suggest having them be house chickens. Perhaps you should look into trying to change the rules in your HOA or if you're set on having them I would consider moving.

Good luck I hope this post gives you some peace about your little pair.

Awww thank you so much for your help. I do greatly appreciate it. That does gives me a lot of piece of mind as I was thinking that they might get beat up because they are small. But if you tell me that you think they will do just fine. That is just great.
I was so hard on myself first because I didn't want to give away my babies and second I was not completely satisfied with her set up but what do I know, I did spoil them to no end. They are such good chickens and I hope they have fun running around with the flock. I am trying to get into the HOA association just for that reason as you have stated so that is already in progress :)

The lady had no problem taking the rooster as her roosters are louder then mine and she said everyone has roosters in her neighborhood as they all crow at the same time. So she as happy to take them. I just didn't like the fact that her bigger roosters pick on her silkie hen and she doesn't separate them but that is because I didn't want mine to get beat up. But like you said they are chickens and will adjust.

Thank you again for all of your help.

p.s. I am planning on getting a farm house when I retire so that is also in the plans :)

Good for you! Glad I could help.

Now does she only have the one silkie? If she only has one silkie it's possible it's getting picked on for looking differently. Having more that look similar will help if that's the case. My other thought was without seeing a photo either the silkie got pooped on which can happen and makes them look a mess or her silkie squats for all of her roosters and is being over bred. White silkie hens look especially awful if they get pooped on of if they dust bathe in damp earth.

Over breeding can happen in a flock with too many roosters and also to favorite or very submissive hens.

Congratulations on your plans to join the HOA board to try and change the rules and on your plans to move out to the country some day.

I can't speak for every flock and every situation but yes absolutely my silkies and other bantams do absolutely fine with all of my large fowl birds. I also have a Sebright and several old English game bantams. The majority of my flock are English Orpingtons, EE, Cream Legbars and Buckeyes along with various other miscellaneous birds and breeds. Some of my English Orpington roosters top out at 15 lbs and hens at 8-10. The bantams still do just fine.

:)

I have to let my rooster go because I can’t keep him due to him crowing in my neighborhood.
He is a very good boy and is only 8 months old and very active and healthy.
Please let me know.
Thank you.
Sadly... I’m in the same predicament 😞 we can’t keep our 7 month old rooster in our neighborhood, we thought and we hoped he was a girl, but he started crowing, and now we have to find a new home for him, he was 1 of 3 chicks that we had, unfortunately 3 out of 3 were roosters, he wasn’t crowing so we held on to him and and gave away his brothers (he never got along with them) but we recently found out through a DNA test he was a rooster. So sadly we must give him away. I am now looking for a no kill rooster shelter close to my area, or even further is fine, but i was wondering if you know of any places I can put him?

Back
Top Bottom