Anyone with ducks AND a lab or golden retriever?

We're talking about getting a puppy and have always loved those breeds as good family dogs, but I'm kind of hesitant because of their hunting/retrieving nature... anyone have one of these and have experiences good or bad they could share? I know all breeds of dogs will likely be interested in the ducks and a potential threat - all our ducks are in a run outside and we won't be leaving them unsupervised - but I don't want to get a dog that will constantly be going nuts because there are ducks out back
hu.gif
i have two lab mix puppies who always chase my chickens and just killed my on of my ducks as well attempted with another. i’m sure they mean no harm but it’s still something to look for!

I don't personally have a golden or a lab. I have 2 pitbulls and they are absolutely amazing with my ducks and chickens. My mother in law has a 4 year old golden that she brings over to the house a lot and we've never had any issues whatsoever with her going after any of the animals. My neighbor has tried twice getting a lab. The first one did fine and then one day when it was about 6 months old went on a rampage and killed all 4 of her ducks and 3 of her chickens while she was inside taking a shower. Fast forward to just this week. Her now 12 week old lab puppy that she has had for 6 weeks has randomly decided that chickens are fun to chase. The puppy ended up killing her rooster. We're guessing the rooster came after him while he was chasing after the ladies. I'm not saying it's not possible to have a lab, but just watch closely. I've found labs to be a little more high strung than goldens.

I wish I could upload some videos here. My Golden - Murphy is AMAZING with the ducks and chickens. He is so kind and gentle and patient with them. In fact, the chickens have been known to bully HIM! He currently makes it his business to watch over the babies in the brooder. He is always by my side when he knows I'm headed out to take care of them. The dog has a doggy door and can free range the main fenced back yard - where the ducks and chickens are. He hangs with them all day - no worries.

But, in the very beginning I was super careful, as I wasn't sure his interest was of noble intentions...or if he wanted to eat them. It took time and careful introduction and limited time supervised before we could let him go free with them.

When the ducks were just a little younger, they would come up and nestle into his fur when he laid down in the yard.

Thanks for reviving this thread. My Shihtzu is 15 and we are thinking of her successor. She's great with ducks, since she's blind and deaf and has no idea we have ducks!

Back
Top Bottom