Anyone with E. coli infection knowledge

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
Hello! Does anyone have any knowledge on E. coli infections in chickens?

My hen has been showing symptoms of seeming distant. She eats and drinks but seems uncomfortable. Her poop is tinged green even though she has no vegetables or grass in her system for a week. I began seeing green poops since two days ago.

No eggs for weeks, and she might have a possible reproductive infection. Not sure if this infection led way to another which is causing green poops. Any advice or insight on what symptoms could be?

Attachments

• IMG_5842.jpeg
    IMG_5842.jpeg
    781.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5831.jpeg
    IMG_5831.jpeg
    996.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5845.jpeg
    IMG_5845.jpeg
    421.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5843.jpeg
    IMG_5843.jpeg
    580.9 KB · Views: 11
Hello! Does anyone have any knowledge on E. coli infections in chickens?

My hen has been showing symptoms of seeming distant. She eats and drinks but seems uncomfortable. Her poop is tinged green even though she has no vegetables or grass in her system for a week. I began seeing green poops since two days ago.

No eggs for weeks, and she might have a possible reproductive infection. Not sure if this infection led way to another which is causing green poops. Any advice or insight on what symptoms could be?
I think the poop looks relatively o.k.

I know you've been dealing with a lot and are worried. You've got a lot of threads expressing your concerns.

Not sure why you feel that she may have infection. Have you not treated her with antibiotics already or is that yet another one of your hens that is not doing well?

I would go back to the basics will all of the hens.

Provide fresh water and feed. Provide oyster shell and grit free choice.
Check them all over for lice/mites. Get that vet of yours to do a fecal float on some of their poop to make sure they don't need deworming.

If they are mite/lice free, have no worms, are relatively active, eating/drinking then I'd call it pretty good and let them chicken on and live their best life.

Hens that start to get some age on them can at some point start to have reproductive problems like Cancer, EYP, Internal Laying, etc. etc. I have yet to find a cure period for any of these conditions.

When one is in a severe state of decline, supportive care may help extend life for a short time, but the quality of life needs to be considered as well. Extending life often may not be quality. Ultimately, even with medications, supplements, interventions, injections, supportive care etc. etc. a hen will eventually succumb to something. As a keeper, it's good to take care of your hens, try to provide a good life for them, but sadly, there comes a time when you will lose one.

I know you've been dealing with a lot and are worried. You've got a lot of threads expressing your concerns.

Not sure why you feel that she may have infection. Have you not treated her with antibiotics already or is that yet another one of your hens that is not doing well?

Check them all over for lice/mites. Get that vet of yours to do a fecal float on some of their poop to make sure they don't need deworming.

If they are mite/lice free, have no worms, are relatively active, eating/drinking then I'd call it pretty good and let them chicken on and live their best life.

Hens that start to get some age on them can at some point start to have reproductive problems like Cancer, EYP, Internal Laying, etc. etc. I have yet to find a cure period for any of these conditions.

When one is in a severe state of decline, supportive care may help extend life for a short time, but the quality of life needs to be considered as well. Extending life often may not be quality. Ultimately, even with medications, supplements, interventions, injections, supportive care etc. etc. a hen will eventually succumb to something. As a keeper, it's good to take care of your hens, try to provide a good life for them, but sadly, there comes a time when you will lose one.
Thanks for the reply :)
I know, I post a TON of threads. I don't know why I'm always constantly worried about my hens. Im a kid and the only one taking care of the coop - I give the meds, talk to the vets, everything. So getting a little reassurance makes me feel at ease. I'm definitely going to stop posting as many threads.

Thanks for the reply :)
I know, I post a TON of threads. I don't know why I'm always constantly worried about my hens. Im a kid and the only one taking care of the coop - I give the meds, talk to the vets, everything. So getting a little reassurance makes me feel at ease. I'm definitely going to stop posting as many threads.
:hugs:hugs
It's o.k.!

I know you are doing the best you can, and you care deeply for your hens.

Take time to just go sit and relax with your hens. Let them do their hen things with you around. Take pleasure in just being with them and enjoy them.

I understand that you are seeing some things that are of concern. You're doing good. The hens are eating/drinking. Their feathers look to be in good condition and you're taking care of them.

Worrying a lot is not good for you either. I know, it's hard not to worry about things sometimes, but take a step back, breath...
You're doing fine.

:hugs:hugs
It's o.k.!

I know you are doing the best you can, and you care deeply for your hens.

Take time to just go sit and relax with your hens. Let them do their hen things with you around. Take pleasure in just being with them and enjoy them.

I understand that you are seeing some things that are of concern. You're doing good. The hens are eating/drinking. Their feathers look to be in good condition and you're taking care of them.

Worrying a lot is not good for you either. I know, it's hard not to worry about things sometimes, but take a step back, breath...
You're doing fine.
Thank you so much for your kind words :)

She actually has scaly leg mites. Over the few months I've noticed she has raised leg scales, but I dismissed it because she is a Buff Cochin and has leg feathers that stem from underneath her legs. I'm washing her feet with gentle soap then spraying a chicken wound spray, then slathering valeline. I am also wrapping it as best as I can, but the wraps often come undone because I ran out of the good gauze I had. Does this seem right, and could her lack of activity also be because of this? I can't attach pics right now, but I might later.

She actually has scaly leg mites. Over the few months I've noticed she has raised leg scales, but I dismissed it because she is a Buff Cochin and has leg feathers that stem from underneath her legs. I'm washing her feet with gentle soap then spraying a chicken wound spray, then slathering valeline. I am also wrapping it as best as I can, but the wraps often come undone because I ran out of the good gauze I had. Does this seem right, and could her lack of activity also be because of this? I can't attach pics right now, but I might later.
Do you have photos of her legs?

I would not wrap the legs, it's not necessary, just clean the legs as needed an apply the vaseline a couple of times a week working it up under the scales.

It can take time to smother all the mites, but it will take even longer for the scales to slough off and heal up/be replaced.

I would not wrap the legs, it's not necessary, just clean the legs as needed an apply the vaseline a couple of times a week working it up under the scales.
Oh I see. I can find a pic of her legs from a while back. I just thought that the vaseline would get all dirty and gross and she would eat it. I’ll unwrap it tomorrow. Not the best pic but it does show. The vet cut off some of the foot feathers in order to view her previous bumblefoot a while back.

She just hasn’t been mobile. Before she used to scratch around and dust bathe but she hasn’t. It’s warmer these days and usually she is perky and happy. Nothing but her slight lethargy and consistently green poop.

Attachments

• IMG_5849.png
    IMG_5849.png
    4 MB · Views: 12

It can take time to smother all the mites, but it will take even longer for the scales to slough off and heal up/be replaced.
Here’s a better photo. I tried to get the dirt out but it’s too stuck in there!! The feathers are chopped id your wondering.

I looked around and turns out the think cast on her scales seeme to just come right off.. should I take them off or keep them on?? She’s not in pain.

Attachments

• IMG_5871.jpeg
    IMG_5871.jpeg
    409.3 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 6
Here’s a better photo. I tried to get the dirt out but it’s too stuck in there!! The feathers are chopped id your wondering.

I looked around and turns out the think cast on her scales seeme to just come right off.. should I take them off or keep them on?? She’s not in pain.
I would not intentionally pull any scales off. When you wash the legs, if debris comes off that's fine, but you may cause some damage if you try taking them off. Let them fall off naturally.

Just apply your oil/vaseline regularly, it will smother the mites. The dirt will wear off, it's fine. I wouldn't worry about her eating the oil/vaseline, usually they won't and if she did take a taste, there's not enough to hurt her.

Back
Top Bottom